The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Left Handed Steel Guitar
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 7:14 pm    

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a left handed steel? Can you imagine everything reversed? Oh well, at least the TAB would still work!

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 7:24 pm    

Ooops... upon further inspection I see there are a few builders that will do steels for left-handed pickers. It is rare enough to find many steel players but to find a lefty must be extremely rare.

Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 8:02 pm    

There is very fine lefty steeler who lives in Sydney Australia...Tomi Grasso. Plays a lefty Emmons LG...IP

------------------

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 9:22 pm    

Monte Good is a left handed steel guitarist who had worked with artists like John Michael Montgomery, Lila McCann, and last I heard, he was working with Neal McCoy. He plays a left handed Derby D-10. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 11:31 am    

A lefthanded steel player is alright,he wont hurt you. The most dangerous critter on the bandstand is a left handed bass player who insists on standing to the left of the steel player that can't get out the way.As Justin Wilson would say [I guarantee]before the night is over you are going to be whacked in the back of the head ,with the headstock of a Fender bass. Allways insist a lefty bass has to be on the opposite side of the stage, for your own safty.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 11:53 am    

Ever seen a left-handed piano?

Lloyd Green is left handed, and plays a right handed steel. I think it gives him an advantage in control of the bar. As far as I know, none of the left-handed pros play "left-handed" pedal steels.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)

Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 7:43 pm    

Shot Jackson built two left hand steels for a friend, J W. Exley from Georgia, and a "Christmas tree" amp, from walnut and some other hardwood which my friend provided. He owned a saw mill. He recently gave the amp to me which I use currently, and plan to bring to St. Louis next week. It'll be in the Fulawka room so come by and say hello. Oh by the way, the steels were set up so that the little strings were toward the player. Drove Shot crazy, said he had to stand on his head quite a bit during construction. and told my friend not to expect another one. Another chapter in the story of the Pedal Steel. AARRRIIVVAAA!!!! Lonnie P.

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 8:13 pm    

Thanks Lonnie,
I got a good laugh out of that one... Wish I could see that amp but I'm not able to make the convention this year. My wife gave me the choice of Branson Jam or St Louis because of the work on the farm. I chose Branson and glad I did this year. It was simply awesome. My wife laughed so hard she had to change her shorts after Joe Wright's performance.

[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 28 August 2005 at 09:13 PM.]

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 1:08 pm    

Read Winnie Winston's (who was himself a natural lefty who played right-handed, as do/did Lloyd Green and Curley Chalker) book and his emphatic, strident caution about left-handed steels and playing lefthanded. Page 11. (With apologies to Paul P and his lefty LDG...)

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 9:07 am    

Have just taped a session off public television showing Sunny Norman and his band. The steel player is Scotty Baker of Champaign Illinois playing his left handed Emmons D10. This show was first televised in 1980.

------------------
1969 ZB Custom D10, BMI S10, 1981 Peavy Musician Mark III, 15 Inch Black Widow, custom enclosure

[This message was edited by Lyle Clary on 30 August 2005 at 10:07 AM.]

Gary Schuldt

Seymour, TN.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 2:07 pm    

Hi Guys,
I'm not a pro,but i'm a true lefty and play a left-handed SD-10 Cougar that Freeman Cowgar built for me about three years ago.And you are right Charles, I play bass also ,and i always take the opposite side of the stage.More than once the guitar player and i have had more than one collision when he insisted i be on his left side.It didn't take him long to learn.No matter what some of the right hand players say that it doesn't make a difference,because you have to use both hands,it certainly does make a difference.I have played guitar left handed for 35 years.It was too late for me to change. i was use to picking with my left hand, and fretting with my right.I agree that if you are just starting out ,yes! you shold buy a right handed guitar.But once again ,there is a reason they make ,regular left hand guitars,left hand golf clubs,left hand guns,and left hand hunting bows is because there are left handed people. Because the steel guitar being such a special instrument,i understand that the manufactures and builders have to change the setup on their NC machines.But a big thank you to the late Freeman Cowgar,who made it possible for me to get started in the wonderful world of steel guitar.Also people like Jerry Fesseden and the people at Pedalmaster. Us lefty steelers which i'm sure are few,i say thank you for giving us more of a choice,and are willing to do what other steel builders won't.All i can say in closing,is that the right handed players that still think it doesn't make a difference,I invite you up to NY sit behind my lefty steel and see how well you play.Oh by the way,your feet and knees come into to play also.You have to operate the volume pedal with your left foot and your ABC pedals with your right foot.Just some food for thought. Are you left footed or right footed.Just having fun with all you righty's out there. Keep Steelin,
Gary Schuldt

Roger Edgington

San Antonio, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 2:49 pm    

My dad was left handed but played bass,guitar, and steel right handed. It sure didn't seem to bother him.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 6:03 pm    

The biggest hurdle will be finding a left handed bar !!

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 11:18 pm    

And lefty thumb picks,bet Bobbe has some.

Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 9:57 am    

You can get Jim Dunlop lefthanded thumb picks but they're not easy to find, I get mine at Avenue Guitars in Edmonton Alberta when I go out there, ususlly a dozen at a time. Some people are more "lefthanded" than others, I know that in my case playing righthanded would be as comfortable as wearing my underwear backwards Smile. I was lucky to get a reasonably-priced lefthanded Endecott steel, single with pad, 3X4. I had to wait a lng time for one to turn up though.

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 11:55 am    

I had to comment on this.

I am right handed, but both of my guitar playing brothers were lefty's and play that way. I've tried playing left handed, and can not do it. I feels completely wrong.

Some lefty's can do things right handed - one of these brothers does write right handed, but others can't.

Next time you see a left handed guitar, try playing it lefty and see just how awkward it feels.

Winston Street

Laurel, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 4:17 pm    

I learned to play steel right handed even though I am naturally left handed. Played right handed for 7 years and decided to change to left handed. Since I owned a machine shop at the time I converted my MSA D10 Super Short to left handed. Best decision I ever made in my life as far as music goes. But its according to how you feel in your hands. Does it feel more natural to pick with your right or left hand. I have more feel for my bar in my left hand for playing slow and smooth. I can play at least 5 times as fast playing left handed. I really get a kick out of being able to play everyone's right handed steels but they can't hit a lick on my left handed one.. Just stand back and scratch their heads. Wish I had one with a right handed and a left handed neck. I've played lead guitar left handed for 50 years so I guess thats why it feels more natural for me to play left handed on steel.

Winston

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 7:47 am    

I wonder why there isn't an option on electronic keyboards to change them for lefties?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2005 7:54 am    

Quote:
an option on electronic keyboards to change them for lefties
Some synths can do that.