The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Basic 50 - Peavey for steel??
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 7:25 am    

anyone ever uesd a peavey basic 50 for steel. its 50 watts let's us know

p.w

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 8:52 am    

I know a guy in Los Angeles who uses one that's heavily modded. Perhaps he'll see this and chime in.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 5:24 pm    

Paul, isn't that only 50 watts? Maybe for practice or a small room.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 6:14 pm    

The biggest drawback of that amp is that it doesn't have a mid-shift control, so it's more or less designed with a single "voice". If, however, you aren't looking for lots of low end, and it gives you the mid and high tones you want, then that's plenty of wattage.

Personally, I find most all lower power amps (less that 100 watts) lacking in the full/fat sound department. But, I do realize that few players out there like those good, solid "fat" tones as much as I do.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 4:35 pm    

And the tolerance and/or desire for "overdrive" vs. cleanliness is hugely varied - I've had rock guitarists virtually speechless* discussing the need for at least double power to keep the bottom end of C6th tunings clean. BASS players understand much better, and those players and manufacturers also understand the mid-shift. Somehow or another, over the years the relatively clean tone of then-kids like Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana and at least 50% of the recorded sound of, yes, Jimi Hendrix, has been forgotten and even "rhythm guitar parts" now need a howling screamer of some sort. Guitarists will spend 20 years and umpteen thousands of dollars trying to AVOID a couple of tone knobs on an amp. KTANDG = Kids Today Are No Darn Good.

*(never completely, alas)

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 7:36 am    

The Peavey Basic 50 is/was a bass amp.
Solid state.
A very basic bare bones amp.
It is rated at 50 watts into 8 ohms. There is no extension speaker jack.

If you wanted to add an effect like reverb or delay, the manual shows that it has an effects loop.

Jack Hanson: This is a solid state amp. Do you know what mods your friend did to it?

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 8:30 pm    

ajm wrote:
The Peavey Basic 50 is/was a bass amp.
Solid state. A very basic bare bones amp.
It is rated at 50 watts into 8 ohms. There is no extension speaker jack. If you wanted to add an effect like reverb or delay, the manual shows that it has an effects loop. Jack Hanson: This is a solid state amp. Do you know what mods your friend did to it?

Yes, I have a modded Peavey Basic 50---put in OPA2134s in place of the (awful) 4558s, changed the electrolytics in the signal path to polypropylenes, upgraded the power supply capacitors, and added a reverb. This improved the amp noticeably, but it is still what it is---a very decent practice amplifier, nothing more. The "effects loop" is really just a preamp out/power amp in jack point---not as useful as a true lower-level (-14 dbV) effects loop like a Nashville 400. It is (just barely) 50 watts into its (rather bass-shy) 8Ω 12" speaker; curiously LESS power into 4Ω (limited by the current available from the power supply). I got it for only $50, so it was a cheap candidate for modding. As noted above, the EQ is not really voiced for steel guitar, and the lack of a mid-shift control is limiting.