no
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 21

Author Topic:  Resonance
Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 7:28 am    

Is there a way to measure the resonance of a steel?? I believe that mica stiffles the true resonance of steel guitars, Please answer the survey below , so I can see if there are those of you that think or feel the same. So far all of my steels have been lacquer . Thanks CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 7:33 am    

I don’t know how much it affects resonance but I’d say it’s part of the overall equation.
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 10:59 am    

How are you defining "resonance?" What is it, or what attribute of the instrument does it define?
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 11:31 am    

Yes, if you mean affect, not effect. Otherwise, no.

Art Beard

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 2:03 pm     Resonance

Please forgive very poor spelling grammer and typing or finger poking, as I have never been good at any of these, lol As a Marine I was list as an Admin Man but they found I
was much better stone cold Killer.
Resonance is something I think we hear from the ringing of different hard and soft woods. equally thin pieces of hard woods will have different resonances or tones. Maple , spruce, oak etc sound diffent that soft AZ. Pine or eastern pine. each is different. I think there is a difference between Curly, birdseye, and tiger maple.
Hope that helps. and thanks for taking the survey. We will see how many tone chasers there are out there, lol
Thanks CAA
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 6:28 pm    

Thanks, Art. I was interested if you were describing tone, as you just have, or sustain, or some other part of the sound of a guitar.

There must be a good reason why many, or most, pedal guitars are maple, be it tiger or Birdseye. Even the vast majority of mica covered guitars are maple. It has snap and sustain.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 7:46 pm    

I don't think that the (overall) mica covering on the body affects it very much. What I do think the mica affects is the resonance coupling of the most critical parts to the body of the guitar. Namely, the changer, keyhead, and the neck(s), (in the case of metal necks). I know that many people hear a difference in the "brightness" in tone of mica covered steels, but I believe that brightness factor would disappear if the three parts I mentioned above were mounted onto the wood, instead of on top of the mica. I'm guessing that precision routing to remove the mica covering (only where these parts are mounted) would give a more rounded and "woody" tone to a mica covered pedal steel. Maybe that would give us the best of both worlds - a durable steel with more fullness and character to it's sound. Very Happy

Art Beard

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 7:54 pm     Resonance

Very Happy that is what this is about Rick. The love if our instruments and what affects ( thanks Ken) our instruments.. the resonance, sustain and tone from the natural wood vs mica covered steels. I think we , no matter how happy with our current steels, are still looking for that next inventive break thru. lol Whoa! Look at Ross Shafer's Sierra Steel Guitars. Right now the most innovative steel built. CAA

Art Beard

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 8:04 pm     Same

I think you have something there Donny. Formica is tough and truely protects the wood, but looses a little of the natural tone. I believe the pride of the tree in all its beauty gives a very small extra boost to the tone it has. Its given its live 4 us to use it CAA Whoa! Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Art Beard on 19 Feb 2018 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Art Beard

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 8:11 pm     Resonance

Guess it would take one builder to build 4 steel to see. Test at SHOWS. One beautiful birdseye maple, one birdseye that we see today, one mica hard,maple and one one like Donny described. With mica cut back to allow the workings to touch the natural wood. CAA

Art Beard

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 8:20 pm     Resonance

Its about our instrument. And hopefully the youth to carry on. The steel has oh so many uses. Country, western, jazz, opera, swing and big band music to name a,few. If we can find some Of the answers and pass them dOwn, i hope that the interest in the instrument grows. CAA Very Happy Mr. Green