Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Performance Steel Guitars
Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 8:56 pm    

Bob Carlucci wrote:
John Swain wrote:
A reverser refers to the mechanism that takes right-wards force of a RKR/LKR and pulls to the left. Reversing mechanism or linkage can be gears or a pivoting link or sprocket and etal. The best have rollers like Rains guitars use(IMHO). Carter guitars can break where two levers redirect the movement, although I've only heard of two complaints here on the Forum(Urban Myth). My Carter had 4 pulls(including 1/2 Stop) on RKR with no problem in 16 years. JS

The fix for that dopey Carter reverser was heavy wheel bearing grease.. Lasted a year or so, wipe it off, put on a little new grease with a fingertip, and that setup was dependable, but still a really poor design.. bob

Performance really had that reverser down. Very innovative.

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 9:22 pm    

John Swain wrote:
A reverser refers to the mechanism that takes right-wards force of a RKR/LKR and pulls to the left. Reversing mechanism or linkage can be gears or a pivoting link or sprocket and etal. The best have rollers like Rains guitars use(IMHO). Carter guitars can break where two levers redirect the movement, although I've only heard of two complaints here on the Forum(Urban Myth). My Carter had 4 pulls(including 1/2 Stop) on RKR with no problem in 16 years. JS

Indeed no roller is used in the Carter reversing mechanism.

I discussed this with Al Brisco when I ordered replacements for this broken part. This issue was known, and they were considering a radius that might have reduced risk of these failures. Unfortunately that change was never put into production.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 10:23 am    

I guess I did not explain what I was wanting to say. The 5/16 or 3/8 cross rod that Jerry's arrow shows is the rod that bell cranks go on for pull rods. The flat 3/4 wide bar,(not cross rod) is for stopping detuning. J.R.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 10:46 am    

I understood your reference JR. There just seemed to be some confusion in general about which component Larry was talking about.

[If it were my guitar, I'd probably figure out how to hardware that shaft, add a pull or 2 and make a working KL for the C neck out of it.]

As to the arrow graphic, it is just a basic Windows 10 Microsoft PHOTOS app whereby you can edit photos. You use the mouse to draw and indicate. It was automatically installed.

Actually, I was going to use an arrow symbol from the File Explorer page, but I had a Senior moment and couldn't remember how that worked either. I have to figure it all out ea. time I want to use one of them. I barely know how to use any of this stuff Embarassed

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2018 11:34 pm    

I think that is the Performance I had because I put a cross bar on mine. It helped in body flex and made the guitar more stable tuning wise. I also put the flags on the levers as they wer uncomfortable to me and hurt my knees. I remember the extra cross shaft but don't think anything was on it so I left it alone.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 5:49 pm     Performance Steel Guitars

Jerry Overstreet
You are correct I was talking about the square cross shaft..NOT the 3/4" flat alum. brace.

All the other Cross shafts that are in between the Pedals are made with a spring loaded pin that goes in the front & rear aprons. this one does not have that.
The only way to remove it was to cut it out.
If you note in the picture the one in question is very close to the Pedal Shaft #7.
All of the other are more centered between the pedal cross shafts.
I retired from a machine so I knew how to make one like the others.

I thank everyone for your responses
Larry

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 5:52 pm    

Larry,
I never saw one like that when I was building them. For another knee? I have no idea.
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Larry Moore

Hampton, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2018 6:19 pm     Performance Steel Guitars

Here is the newly installed Knee Lever LKR on the C-6 neck
I also changed the Cross flat alum. brace from 3/4" to 1/2"
Larry