The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Push pull tuning issue
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 10:39 am    

hey guys, thanks for allm of the responses. i think i fixed it, but havent had a chance to really play it a bunch since the other day. will give it a go tonight. i'm pretty handy and i do have tommy cass nearby so i dont think i will get rid of my push pulls. they have the sound that i like best.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 11:02 am    

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
...i dont think i will get rid of my push pulls. they have the sound that i like best.

A wise decision.

Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:10 pm    

With all due respect..Damirs advice does have some validity.....having spent a lifetime giving advice to people repairing all manner of equipment, cars, boats, etc, I have had to tell people that exact thing. One thing to consider is injury to reputation if a guitar fails during a gig to the point that it effects playing. It only takes one time for that to happen. It usually takes less malfunction to inhibit a less experienced player. Having owned and worked on P/P’s, I can say that someone not fully understanding adjustment of those guitars, or even the simple principles of proper tightening, alignment, and other things competentant PSG Techs take for granted, run the risk of a guitar malfuction during a gig. I certainly don't want to see that happen. The simple fact is.....all pull guitars have less parts, therefore the likelyhood of malfunction is less. On the other hand, I played a Bobbe Seymour set up PP for 8 years with only string changes....... so I know those guitars can be reliable.....with that said.....a quote from a famous actor “A man’s got to know his limitations”

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 8:32 pm    

So true Jim, the push pulls are very reliable as are all the major brand all pull guitars. I've played both during my 35 years of playing but biggest percentage of time were push pulls. I've only had one thing happen and that was a slipped collar on A pedal which was about a two minute job to fix but I know push pulls and knew what it was before I turned guitar over. I've had a couple all pulls that had changer problems so 6 to 1' half dozen to other. Great advice on that Clint Eastwood quote, lol.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 10:56 am    

Jim Park wrote:
I played a Bobbe Seymour set up PP for 8 years with only string changes....... so I know those guitars can be reliable.....

I played a Clem Schmitz set up p/p for over 30 years with only string changes. I brought it back to the man himself after he moved home from Tennessee a few years back for a 30-year checkup. It checked out just fine, but he did pull apart the pedal bar, and removed the pedals from the axle to clean off the gunk and lubricate. I'm fully confident that my '73 D-10 fatback will outlast me by decades and decades.