The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Old ShoBud SuperPro D10 or New 2004 Cater D10..?
jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:11 pm    

Which one would you buy if you were buying ???? I play S12U but have a chance to pick up a Mint Cond ShoBud or Mint Cond. Carter I need Help Deciding. Im all eyes and ears now.
Thanks

------------------
Dekley S12U 7X5 / Gibson Flying V, ES335, G&L ASAT Z3,Fender Vibrosonic, Fender Quad Rev. , Twin Rev. , Deluxe Rev. ProFex II, Session 400's(Old Good Ones)
www.theearthangels.net

Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:13 pm    

Get the Carter. I've never been able to deal with them easily (it's like pulling teeth to even order a few parts) but the newer guitar with more modern mechanics is worth the extra effort.

------------------
Gary Shepherd

Carter D-10

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:13 pm    

oh yea I forgot... also have a chance to pick up an old MSA S12U... kinda like having two of the same but have been thinking of going to D10. Need help Deciding...

------------------
Dekley S12U 7X5 / Gibson Flying V, ES335, G&L ASAT Z3,Fender Vibrosonic, Fender Quad Rev. , Twin Rev. , Deluxe Rev. ProFex II, Session 400's(Old Good Ones)
www.theearthangels.net

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 12:41 pm    

Why decide? Buy all three!
Hard to choose...Im a BUD man myself but Carter sure makes one fine Guitar. And Ive played a few MSA's that I would not hesitate to own! .....Maybe you should buy all three!

------------------
73 PRO II, 79/80 PRO III
Steelkings,Fender guitars,Preston covers,
and Taylor(Tut that is)
Reso's
"Of all the things Ive lost in life, I miss my mind the most"

David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 1:51 pm    

I think any working musician needs two working versions of his main axe, in case one breaks or has to be sent to the shop. So if you are going to stay with a uni, you need the MSA S12U or some other uni (I'd prefer something more modern). If you are really going to switch to D10, I'd go with the Carter, because they are easier to work on and get parts for. Sho-Buds are out of production and notoriously quirky mechanically - I view them as collectors projects.

But I haven't followed my own advice. My main axe is a Zum uni. My second one is an Emmons p/p uni (that threw a rod in the middle of a gig). I have an old Sho-Bud Pro III D10, but I have it just to keep my hands accustomed to a D10, and to fix up as a nostalgia project.

[This message was edited by David Doggett on 02 September 2005 at 02:55 PM.]

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 3:36 pm    

Get a MSA Millinnium You Wont Be sorry.

Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 4:13 pm    

To Get That SHO_BUD Sound It's Got To Be A SHO_BUD.

------------------

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 5:06 pm    

You said it all Sonny!

jeff reynolds

Jackson, Ms.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 9:04 pm    

Thanks Guys,,, Yall Make it even harder to decide But I knew yall would.. I like having two of the same axes.. Im leaning toward that right now... can someone make me think otherwise????. I can't even go look at all 3 right now and I SURE CAN'T BUY all 3... Gas Shortage keeps me from Driving to see two of-um and Money shortage keeps me from Buying all 3.
Im still listening ...

------------------
www.theearthangels.net

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 11:44 pm    

There's no reason the Sho-Bud shouldn't play as smooth as any modern guitar. Parts for this type are plenty availlable.
I can hardly call it a choice

------------------
Steelin' Greetings
Marco Schouten
Sho-Bud LLG; Guyatone 6 string lap steel; John Pearse bar; Emmons bar; Evans SE200 amp

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 3:21 am    

Jeff.......buy both of 'em!

------------------

www.genejones.com

Curt Langston

Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 3:42 am    

Buy the Carter. Simple. It has great mechanics and it is still in production. Smooth as silk. Positive response. Pulls and stays in tune? What else do you want in a guitar? Is there really any question?

------------------
I'd rather be opinionated, than apathetic!

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 5:36 am    

Having owned all 3 of those brands for years and years I would say this..They are ALL great,, BUT the Carter is the only one of the 3 brands I still own. The quality is top notch, the guitar plays like NO other..lightning fast,smooth, so precise, NEVER a tuning issue..

Plays in tune,stays in tune for months at time.. All the guitars you mentioned are wonderful, but if i could only buy one, it would be the Carter.... bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 03 September 2005 at 06:38 AM.]

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 3:02 am    

I have to second what Bob says. I have owned Sho Buds and they are wonderful guitars. But I own two Carters. They just play great and stay in tune. Oh and one other thing....they won't break your back when you have to move them somewhere.

------------------
2003 Carter D10, 9x5 Black and 1998 Carter D10 9x5, rack mounted amp and cabinets

[This message was edited by Bill Myers on 04 September 2005 at 04:02 AM.]

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 5:45 am    

Again, it depends on what tone you want. Going back to what Sonny said; they all are good guitars but, one will not sound like the other. So, you won't go wrong with either but, depends on what tone you want from it.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 1:30 pm    

Go with the Carter mate --- I played a Super Pro for quite a few years and while it was a good guitar at the time, the parts were made of some fairly crappy metal. I had several of the knee lever connections crack and break off, and quite a bit of wear developed in the holes where the pedal rods connected. In fact quite a few of them looked like they would wear right thru -- poor quality metal parts !!!
I have a new Carter so I can tell you it is a far superior guitar all round, and the back up and service is exceptional from the folks at Carter.

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 3:56 pm    

MSA

------------------
Dave O'Brien, Okeechobee
'72, '75 & '78 Emmons D-10's
www.banjobubba.com