The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fretboard problem
Andy Willoughby

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 4:58 pm    

I recently purchased a Sho-Bud permanent on the forum and when it arrived, the fretboard seems to have come unglued.

Any one had this happen? Any suggestions for re-attaching? Thanks

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 5:11 pm     Fretboard?

Get some double sided tape, should work....jack

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 5:26 pm    

del

Last edited by Bill C. Buntin on 23 Mar 2018 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Todd Blair

Richmond Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2018 5:33 pm    

A hair dryer (and patience) will help with warming residual glue. Once the glue loosens, you can raise the fretboard slightly and warm from the underside. It takes time to remove the entire thing, but it's a good idea. Once it is removed, you should clean the neck, to remove any excess dried glue. As always, make sure that your chosen cleaner does not damage the finish. Goo Gone helps remove adhesive, but must be delicately applied, and I'd test it out on some laquer on the bottom of a side apron, just to be sure that there will not be any damage. When it is time to re-apply the fretboard, the original adhesive should (hopefully) be intact on the bottom of the fretboard. Again, using a hair dyer, warm the adhesive and set the fretboard in place. Add some moderate weight evenly to the top of the board (ie: books) and let it dry. You may find that there is little to no adhesive at the ends of the fretboard (1st and 24th markers). If that is the case, double-sided tape will work, but in moderation.
It's not terribly difficult, but it takes some time. Also, make sure you have some good hand soap, as you will have nasty, aged adhesive that you are going to want to wash off, as well as any cleaner that you use.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2018 3:50 pm     Fretboards

If you have a problem getting them off or they are not in the best of shape get a hold of Tom Bradshaw, he makes them. I got a pair from him a couple months ago. Look real nice. As good as original. Toms on the forum. Tom can tell you what to use to get the glue off the finish on your guitar. Mine was easy. I have alloy necks on my Bud. He knows what to use on a wood finish.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2018 2:10 am     3M Double Sided Tape

3M Double Sided Tape is the best and easy to use.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.