The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ShoBud wraparound on ebay.
Stuart Sawney

High Wycomb, Bucks, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 11:31 am    

Hi,I am a steel player (though learning)in the UK.I just missed this Shobud on Ebay.........................................http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7345561728&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I am learning about vintage steels and falling in love with the older style look and mojo.I read all that Ricky Davis posts and wow !! he knows his stuff .Even us Brits appriciate such devotion and strait talking.I'm sure there is a book in him somewhere ??

Back to the steel that went on ebay.Are these Shobud wraparound bridge models that rare and desireable ?? It went for around $900-00 ....good deal ??? I have a feeling it might be. Let me know your thoughts.

Keep up the good job you guys are doing.Heres to you.Regards STUART

Stuart Sawney

High Wycomb, Bucks, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 11:40 am    

Hi,Sorry link in previous post does not appear to work.!!!!! here is the item number on ebay.... 7345561728....Just copy and paste into ebay search.

Sorry I'm kinda new .Regards STUART

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 2:57 pm    

It appears to be a Pro-1. You can read more about Sho-Bud models at http://www.planet.eon.net/~gsimmons/shobud/models.html .

IMHO it needs two or three more knees, no setup info is given, no pictures of the works and no hard info on the condition. The seller states that there is a plate covering the controls meaning they were removed. I'd say $900 is about right for someone wanting a project.

I don't think the Pro-1 is terribly rare. If you're just starting out I'd recommend spending a bit more to get a guitar you can play right away. I've spent a good bit of my time these last three months locating parts and fixing the setup on my guitars. I don't really mind that much, but I could have spent more time playing instead of piddling with the guitar.

Speaking of which, my Emmons parts arrived today. I'm fixing LKL and LKR on my LeGrande C6 (which don't do anything right now) and adding the Franklin change to P4. Going down for the last time I hope.

Charlie

[This message was edited by Charles Dempsey on 30 August 2005 at 03:57 PM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2005 11:18 pm    

It is NOT a Pro-I....>I answered a similar question about this particular model in this thread here> http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum5/HTML/010939.html
Check it out.
Ricky

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2005 4:08 pm    

It is a 1967 Sho-Baldwin single neck, 6 pedals and no knees from the S-B factory that was on Dickerson road in Madison TN. at the time. The guitar has very little value at the moment. I feel at the price it sold for and the modifications it needs to be played in a modern mode,it was not a good deal, except for the seller. However, it is a small step above a Maverick.
I'd hardly call it a "Wraparound" as this nomenclature has been assinged to an other brand of guitar we are all familiar with.
Collector value on this model of Sho-Bud is near zero.
I sell this guitar in good playing condition in the 5-7 hundred dollar range.
Higher if it has the newer neck, and is a 3-4, Ala Pro one.
Bobbe Seymour

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 02 September 2005 at 05:09 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 3:40 am    

Quote:
...vintage steels and falling in love with the older style look and mojo.

Falling in love with a "look" is fine if you're a collector, but not really advisable if your intention is to learn to play. I'd advise a beginner in your locale to buy from a reputable dealer who both sells and services steels. That way, you stand less chance of getting a "fix-it project" instead of a playable instrument. You might pay a little more, but you'll save yourself valuable time and frustration in the long run.

Jud Thomas

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2005 6:17 am    

I bought one of these about a year ago, except mine already had 3 pedals and 3 knee levers. I paid $750 for it and it needed some work. I'm fortunate enough to have Ricky Davis in town with me and ever since he got a hold of it, it's been nothin' but joy. My point is, if you buy it, have an extra few hundred for gettin' it in shape to play and stay in tune.
Jud

Ian Finlay

Kenton, UK
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2005 3:17 am    

Hi Stu, nice to find someone else round this area (ish). $900, or £500, would be a bit above the going rate, but there aren't that many steels apart from Mavericks at the "starter" level for sale over here.

Finding a "local" store that services steels is a bit of a joke - Hogan's is the nearest that I know, and that's in Hungerford (a good 1.5 hours away if there's no traffic).

Just enjoy it and trade up when you're ready.

Ian