The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question about lever assignments in Emmons E9
Mick OGrady

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 7:43 am    

I am a complete beginner on PSG though I have learned a number of other instruments. It seems there is incredible diversity in set ups. I just got my first PS set up using a standard Emmons E9 a few days ago and observed on the net that in this set up it is common for the LKL to have the Es going up to F and going down to Eb on the LKR. I find this counter-intuitive since going left on any string instrument as well as piano means descending in pitch and going to the right means ascending in pitch.
I am sure that it is this way for a good reason. Can someone enlighten me as to why this is so?

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2018 8:29 am    

Because when you use the E to D# change with the pedal that raises both G#'s to A (B pedal) to get a 7th chord, it easier and more ergonomic to move your knee in the same direction that your ankle bends. Same holds true for the E to F lever. It combines with the A pedal (B's to C#).

This assumes that the levers that affect the E strings are on the left knee.

This should have been posted in the "pedal steel" section. I'm sure there are far more people reading that section than this one.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2018 5:06 pm    

What Richard said. If you have your E changes on the left knee (common, but not universal), and you have the pedals A, B, C in that order (commonly called the Emmons setup: CBA is the Day setup), then the ergonomics don't work lowering to the outside because you usually leave the heel planted behind the A and B pedals.
If you lower the Es and hit the B pedal, you have a B7 chord by rolling your ankle left side up, and a B9th when you flatten the foot by adding the A pedal.
On the other side, the E raises are to the outside; this works well with the A pedal, as if you roll the ankle outward at the same time you move the knee outwards, you get the C# chord.