The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Alternative to BossTone?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2018 11:50 am    

When Newman taught that technique, it was meant to sound like a string section like you would hear from a synth. It was not meant to sound like A violin (single). Just a pad type sound. I asstrings). if it would work for the fiddle parts in "Amarillo By Morning", and he said no. And when he taught me, it was using the first string and the 4th raised to F#. Slightly slant the bar until you get a beating between the notes (making the bowing sound) . Alternate picking string 1 and 4,finding a speed you like (speed of the bowing) . Turn down the treble and boost your bass on your amp and crank the reverb up. (Too much work and not very easy to switch from regular PSG to strings). Of course now, I would use an effects loop pedal into a fuzz, eq, and reverb pedal set to the setting needed so I could just hit the loop switch when I wanted).

After my Bosstone died, I tried other fuzz boxes and only found one other that really worked for me. It was an old purple colored Univox pedal. Great pedal.

I went to having a synth next to me for strings (and other stuff) but the places I play now don't have the room. I stopped playing string sounds altogether until I got the EH Mel9 pedal.

I thought that cello sounded better than the "violins". I did a session one time for a guy that I played for, and he wanted the violins (string section) and cello on the record. So, I did both. They ended up using a synth for the strings (most likely analog since this was in the early-mid 70's) and my cello parts. They may have layered my string along with the synth strings (but I doubt it) . I have that record buried in with the LPs I have in the closet.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 6:12 pm    

Maybe the reason the Univox Super Fuzz worked for you Richard, was the octave above that it adds to the sound. Very interesting schematic for the electronix guys. Check out Q4 Q5 (counting from left). Set up like a push pull with crossover distortion designed in.

http://freestompboxes.org/members/uzzfay/web.archive.org/web/20120313025416/http_/members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/superfuzz1/usf.html

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 9:59 am    

Thanks Paul. It definitely was a Super Fuzz. Mine was a lavender color, but all I have been able to find pictures of are red and orange. Wish I could find a pic of the purple one.

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 12:53 pm    

My favorite Bosstone (and I've owned many) is the Monsterpiece Angry Dick 2000 v.2.
Not expensive either.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 9:12 pm    

http://freestompboxes.org/members/uzzfay/web.archive.org/web/20120313025343/http_/members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/superfuzz1/sdsa.html

Like this, Richard?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 10:53 am    

No. Mine had the rubber patch on top to turn on and off, with the controls on the end.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 6:12 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Jon, my BossTone does have 2 controls. One is "Volume" and the other is "Attack".

The effects I'm looking for would be for single string, not unisons. I think the BossTone does it well enough for my purposes (you might disagree after listening to my video?) but the controls are a little dicey -- too sensitive so hard to dial it in where I want it.

I have the same issue with the controls on mine. Very touchy controls. That sound tho', is really unique & cool. I used it when I played a Ronstadt set with some friends - was the perfect sound to emulate the electric violin on Silver Threads & Golden Needles. When I first listened to that track before learning it, I thought it WAS a steel thru a Boss Tone.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 6:15 am    

Chris Walke wrote:

I have the same issue with the controls on mine. Very touchy controls. That sound tho', is really unique & cool. I used it when I played a Ronstadt set with some friends - was the perfect sound to emulate the electric violin on Silver Threads & Golden Needles. When I first listened to that track before learning it, I thought it WAS a steel thru a Boss Tone.

Thanks, Chris. Now that I'm part of a Ronstadt tribute show, maybe I'll give it a try. I've been playing that part clean (like Ed Black) rather than like the earlier-recorded version (was that Red Rhodes?), who used the string effect.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2018 7:26 am    

As usual for the forum we’re talking about several things at once here. I would think getting close to a solo violin sound would rely on fine tuning the basic eq by ear. The “Newman” approach mentioned, also used on the fly to great effect by the Opry Steelers during the 70’s did require unison strings, purposely played slightly out of tune to emulate the massed vibrato of the string section, often doubled in the studio on a lower string set for cello sounds. I urge everybody to seek out Newman’s version of “Phoenix /Wichita Lineman” for a masterful use of the string sound. Difficult or impossible to tell from something similar on, say, a Mancini track.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 7:44 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:

Thanks, Chris. Now that I'm part of a Ronstadt tribute show, maybe I'll give it a try. I've been playing that part clean (like Ed Black) rather than like the earlier-recorded version (was that Red Rhodes?), who used the string effect.

So that IS steel? I feel like I can hear some kinda "sawing" going on during the sustained notes. Maybe that's an artifact of the effect. Or maybe there's a bit of chorus in there and I'm hearing the cycling. Hmmm...

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 2:52 pm    

If you're happy with your Boss Tone, why not get a Mahoney Buzz Tone which is a clone of the original Boss Tone. They make a version that mounts on the guitar (just like the original) and a floor pedal version.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 2:53 pm    

Jeff Mead wrote:
If you're happy with your boss tone, why not get a Mahoney Buzz Tone which is a clone of the original Boss Tone. They make a version that mounts on the guitar (just like the original) and a floor pedal version.

Bingo! Just what I was hoping to find. Thank you! Smile

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 3:14 pm    

http://mahoneyguitargear.com/index.htm

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 3:16 pm    

Thanks, Jeff.

My BossTone says it was manufactured by Music City Mfg. Co, Nashville. Did Jordan buy out Music City Mfg Co?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 3:41 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Thanks, Jeff.

My BossTone says it was manufactured by Music City Mfg. Co, Nashville. Did Jordan buy out Music City Mfg Co?

Other way round, I think. The original ones were built by Jordan in California.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/19030/jordan-boss-tone/

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2018 6:35 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
I've been playing that part clean

I'm a big fan of that approach.