The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheapest way into a 6 string lap steel for my mom.
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:35 am    

She has an old Oahu Tonemaster that had alot of work done on it some years ago and she's not happy with the sound or the playability. Basically she's wanting a player with none of the maintenance concerns of a vintage instrument. Most importantly to her is the sound. The pickup on the oahu was rewound years ago and it was done poorly it seems.

Anyway she wants a newer instrument with the old hawaiian sound not something for more modern rock/blues stuff. Here are a couple of options I've come up with.

1. Gold Tone with a Lollar Chicago Steel - A bit high on the budget ladder and likely only doable if I found one used.

2. Gretsch Electromatic with replacement pickup - Probably more affordable. Not sure about the quality of the hardware here.

3. Some other import like those Vorson's. Again not sure of the quality of the hardware.

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 12:05 pm    

What price you wanting to stay in?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:12 pm    

Why cheap out with your mom? Get her something nice.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:29 pm    

Jack Hanson wrote:
Why cheap out with your mom? Get her something nice.

Her budget.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007

Just buy a nut riser and put it on an acoustic guitar. She wont have to mess with an amp that way, and if she quits, you can always change the guitar back.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK

Terry VunCannon wrote:
What price you wanting to stay in?

Basically whatever I can get out of her Epiphone made E-Harp and a 61-62 Gretsch Electromatic amp.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:32 pm    

Dom Franco wrote:
Just buy a nut riser and put it on an acoustic guitar. She wont have to mess with an amp that way, and if she quits, you can always change the guitar back.

No no she played when she was young. She doesn't want a modded acoustic or even a weissenborn. She wants a lap steel similar to the Oahu Diana's she played when she was young. She transitioned to a E-Harp at one point and got pretty proficient but didn't enjoy the tuning at all. She's now wanting to get back into playing at 77 years old and just doesn't want to have to fight worn out tuners, poorly wound/noise pickups, etc. Also she already has an amplifier.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 2:38 pm    

You could probably have the Oahu's original pickup rewound, install new tuners (or buttons) that match the originals, and install brand-new electronics in the Diana, for less money than the cost of one of the cookie-cutter Asian imports. If she's used to playing slants on the Oahu, she will likely find the string spacing too narrow on many, if not all, of the inexpensive imports.

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 3:07 pm    

I agree - I'd get her Oahu fixed up properly. Just because the pickup was rewound badly years ago doesn't mean it would be rewound badly now if you went to someone reputable. Tuners are easy to replace too.

Once that is done (and maybe the electrics checked out) it would be good as new with no more maintenance concerns than you'd have with a new instrument.

Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 8:54 pm    

I'm with the fellows saying fix up the Tonemaster.. I have two of these and they great steels. Most of the cheaper imports are going to have cheap tuners and pickups so you'll be no farther ahead.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 11:01 pm    

Here's a link to Jefferson County Music. The last time I was down that way I played one of the Dillion 8 string models and I thought it played and sounded pretty good. It also had a solid feel to it. I don't need another 8 string steel, but if they made a 10 string in a similar price range, I'd own one. I might know of a Gretsch lap steel for sale, I'll get back to you if its still around. It does make sense to fix the Oahu, but if she has her heart set on a new steel, there are some good ones out there that are reasonably priced. Good luck in your search. http://www.jeffcountymusic.com/?product_cat=sag