The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Natural Sounding Artificial Reverberation (1962)
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 5:41 pm    

Here's a very interesting paper about reverberation, circa 1962:

http://charlesames.net/pdf/MRSchroeder/artificial-reverb.pdf

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 6:46 pm    

Need to relook wet/dry mix ratios perhaps.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:25 pm    

Yes, interesting. And although we now have digital methods presumably the principles remain the same.

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2018 9:28 pm    

Cool article, b0b!

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:11 am    

Nice article. It's interesting to compare that with the current state of the art. Since the electronics and acoustic science are a lot more sophisticated now the importance of Early Reflections in defining and expressing the character of a room is pretty well known.

An essentially flat frequency response is available in the slightly expensive Demeter RV-1D stereo spring reverb which does sound amazing.

The most capable unit I know for generating Early Reflections is a TC Electronics M3000. To my ear, none of the stock settings sound good or especially realistic. But if you take the time to really understand how to program the M3000 it becomes unbelievably real and satisfying, with magnificent stereo expression.

Daryl Thisdelle

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 5:03 pm     Reverb

For me the best reverb made and it is made today is the Bricasti Reverb.. Not cheap and is in most high end recording studios around the world. I am saving for mine. It is the most natural sounding reverb made. It is so natural you really do not know it is even on. Check out reviews on it.. You tube is a good one.. My two cents two cents two cents....I deal with a pro audio shop for my studio equipment and for the past few years Bricasti is the one that every one wants and out sells the rest.
Daryl
Williams 700 Keyless SD 12 String Universal Lacguer Body Wood Neck Alumitone Pick Up GD Walker Stereo Steel Amp Preamp Combo With 2x15 inch JBL Speakers In Tuned Cabinets, Hilton Digital Sustain Pedal, Telonics Volume Pedal. Steel Seat With Back Rest And Swivel And Adjustable Legs. George L Cables. BJS Bar. Nookies Thumb Pick National Finger Picks. Jagwires Petterson Strobo Plus HD Tuner

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 7:19 pm    

One engineer gushes over the Bricasti M7 reverb:

https://tapeop.com/reviews/gear/69/m7-stereo-reverb-processor/

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 3:31 am    

Bricasti Reverb = ~ $4,000. OUCH!!!!!!

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 7:12 am    

Back in the 80's, I worked with a friend who had a small 8 track basement studio. He had digital reverb units, and tape delays, but wasn't happy with the sound. We ran a monitor speaker, and a mic to the small tile bathroom above the "control room". Playing with mic placement, and towel placement, we got some very nice "reverb".
A lot of musicians were coming to us for demos because of "that" sound he was getting!

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 1:32 am    

Could be interesting to have a blind reverb shoot-out. I'll bet pizza and beer that a properly programmed M3000 would top the Bricasti or at least offer something as satisfying. But no doubt, with stock programs the Bricasti will win hands down.

Bill, one of the nicest reverb sounds I ever caught on tape was from a drummer and myself rehearsing in a large cluttered basement. Somehow all of reflections combined in a really magical way. Neither of us noticed how it sounded until hearing the recording.

Last edited by Steve Sycamore on 13 Feb 2018 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 6:35 am    

I have a hypothetical question, which will probably generate a lot of suggestions.

If you had the Bricasti M7 Reverb, what digital delay would you pair with it? Just curious.

Basically talking a rack setup here. I know what preamp I would be using. Just nothing like Brad Sarno's Revelation.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 9:33 am    

Lexicon was always noted for their reverbs.
I have a Lexicon unit in my rack.
Erv

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 12:33 am    

DG Whitley wrote:
If you had the Bricasti M7 Reverb, what digital delay would you pair with it? Just curious.

I'd want something that could give you more than a single delay or chorused/flanged/phased delay.

Ensoniq DP/4 has many different delay options including 4 simultaneous stacks of 4 fully programmable delays in the stereo field for a total of 16 different delays at the same time.

TC Electronic M2000 (and M3000) have 2 separate stereo engines. The pitch algorithm lets you set 6 different delays in the stereo field each with a separate pitch if you want that. So you can generate 12 different simultaneous delays.

Using several different delays at the same time gets you away from that horrible artificial sound.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 12:27 pm    

Steve, Please check your PMs....thanks.

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2018 1:01 am    

In case this might help in using an M3000, here is a breakdown of the early reflection types. The first column of numbers shows how many milliseconds the first reflection is delayed. The second column is when the peak or most dense part of the response occurs. The third column shows when the final reflection happens. The types are ranked from shortest or smallest room to biggest and most complicated space.