The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Short people or at least short legs!
Dean Richard Varga

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 1:14 pm    

Hello All

I am 5'6....on a good day. I have been playing steel for a long time, and as I get older its becoming more difficult to feel comfortable doing lots of things.

Take playing the PSG. I am thinking about (after all these years)of having the boys at Emmons make me a set of legs and rods about one and a half to two inches shorter.It would actually make a big difference.

I know what some of you guys are thinking- "I probably should have placed on order a long time ago to give em a chance to process the order"(couldn't resist).

I also noticed that someone was selling, I belive a Shobud S-10 a while back on Ebay that had the pedals mounted closer to the center of the guitar, rather than way out on left end of the guitar. Was this an option at one time or was that a custom one of a kind deal.

Any thoughts are welcome. Now be nice, I know I'm openig my self up for all kinds of comedy.

Thanks, Dean

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 1:41 pm    

Well, Dean, at 5'7", I'm thinking similar things. I see Carter has an option for shorter legs on a new guitar, but I'm afraid to check how much aftermarket supply would be.
I don't fit into the levers well enough, and am on tiptoe to press the pedals and move a lkl or r.
A lift kit for the chair won't work; I wonder about putting the whole steel onto a sloping wedge to raise my knees.
So I'm looking for ideas just like you.

And yes, Dean, we should expect a chorus of 'Short People' from these tallboys, who have no concept of the beauty of getting lost in a crowd.

[This message was edited by Charlie McDonald on 27 August 2005 at 02:42 PM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 1:48 am    

I'm pretty sure that I have in my ancestry some Neanderthal DNA, as I have the classic symptom of very short shin bones, ie, the distance from my knee to my ankle is way out of proportion in comparison to the rest of my body.
This has meant that I have spent a long learning curve regarding seat height, extending knee levers, pedal/knee lever positioning, and overall steel height.
The Day setup is more suitable for people of my proportions, IMHO, coupled with having the pedals and knee levers (left leg)positioned slightly more to the centre of the steel than standard.
R B

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 2:33 am    

Another thread had me thinking that the Day setup would cure the problem. But I'm encouraged to hear that a long learning curve will lead to a solution.

Can't do the Day thing on a Carter Starter; but maybe if I take another look at your ZB I can imagine a system of remote bellcranks or something to make the switch. Talk about a nightmare on Carter Avenue....

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 2:45 am    

Charlie,
I've not looked closely at a Carter Starter,
but I know that the bell cranks are welded in place.
Is it possible to remove the whole crossrod assembly of pedals A and C and swap them around, along with the rods to the changer?
R B

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 5:10 am    

HA! 5'-6" short?? Yeah, I guess it is, but......look at the upside....we live in a world of belt buckles and bosoms!

I'll meet up with you at one of our events here in AZ and we can talk about Charlie bragging that he's 5'-7"!!

[This message was edited by Jack Francis on 28 August 2005 at 06:13 AM.]

Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 7:01 am    

I too have stumpy legs. I recently bought a Carter D10 which was way to high for me so I Shortened the legs by an inch and a half, it is very simple to do, just take the centre rod out of the leg get a piece of 1/2" steel rod and tap the threaded ferule out then cut the leg down using a small hand held pipe cutter. Tap the ferule back in using a smear of Locktite, use a nut on the threaded part so as not to damage the thread. Then cut down the pedal rods by the same ammount and re-thread them. Job Done.
Cheers Dave.

John Fabian

Mesquite, Texas USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 9:08 am    

Re-threading your pedal rods is not an option on most Carters and all Carter-Starters as the threads are rolled and the shaft diameter is around .170". That's too small to cut decent threads. (Dave, yours must be a early one on which we used to use 3/16" S.S. and cut the threads with a die)

L. A. Wunder

Lombard, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 12:01 pm    

At 4'11" I think I win the "puny" contest. Years ago when I got my new Emmons D-10, my dad cut the legs and rods down 2". I believe he used a pipe cutter on the legs, and that worked just fine. When he got to the rods, he found that the threaded portion on bottom was larger than the rest of the rod, and simply rethreading wouldn't work. He ended up making a new set of rods for me.
It's been easier to reach the pedals and levers that way, but I'm still paying a price by having to lean over the guitar more. Now I'm kind-of sorry I did it sometimes. Before you cut-it-down, make sure you really want to do it. I wish you the best of luck, whatever you decide.

L.A.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 3:28 pm    

An interesting idea, Richard; I like it.

Jack, that's in my high-rise uplift cowboy boots.

David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 4:15 pm    

Dean, I had standard legs and rods on my Emmons, then went 1" shorter.
It put my wrists, arms, & hands in a more natural position.

Jack Francis

Queen Creek, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2005 9:51 pm    

Charlie...you did it again...... not only are you an inch taller than I am,,,, but you have the guts to brag about having some "High rise Cowboy Boots"!

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 1:41 am    

Problem is, Jack, I can't play steel with them on. But I wear them to Kiss concerts.

Richard, I think it will work, switching pedals A & C on a Starter. Thanks.

David, how short/tall are you? I may have to go with the Carter legs that are 2" shorter.
This has been a very helpful topic, to me.
Thanks, Dean.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 3:37 pm    

Dean,

1 inch shorter rods/legs should be enough for you.

bob

Dean Richard Varga

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 5:37 pm    

BOB
CHARLIE
JACK
DAVID
L.A.
JOHN
DAVE
RICHARD......... First things first.

Thank you guys! What an amazing community of caring people. I HAVE decided to get my legs shortened. On the Pedal steel that is. Rods too.

When it comes to stuff like this, I usually measure three hundred times, and never make the cut. Probably why after 30 years, I have done nothing. But , I agree with the consensus, it should be one inch. I thought perhaps 1 1/2 but, in my heart new one would probably do it.........Sooo one it is!

Best regards to all

Dean

[This message was edited by Dean Richard Varga on 29 August 2005 at 06:41 PM.]

[This message was edited by Dean Richard Varga on 29 August 2005 at 06:41 PM.]