The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hold B, Squeeze A problem...
Mac Martine

Portland, Or
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:28 pm    

NO! I mean hold A, squeeze B! Sorry...

Hey y'all-
I'm still new to all this, I've been following some of Jeff Newmans courses, but I'm having one real problem in that my body seems to physically not be able to do it..
That is, holding down the A pedal while angling it over the B pedal before I squeeze in the B pedal. I can pretty much do it with the C and B pedals, but not A and B. I can only do it on A and B if I allow myself to bend the left knee lever at the same time. I've tried moving my seat around, etc, but I really just can't seem to see how it's done. Any hints? Thanks!

[This message was edited by Mac Martine on 24 August 2005 at 02:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mac Martine on 24 August 2005 at 02:33 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mac Martine on 24 August 2005 at 02:33 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:45 pm    

Normally, that's a problem with the floor pedals being too far to the left in relation to the left-knee levers, when using the "Emmons" setup. You may have to try the "Day" setup, instead, which moves the "home" (A&B) pedals to the right by a few inches.

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:46 pm    

I assume you're angling your foot. If not, you should be. Assuming the Emmons (ABC) configuration, you should bring the outside edge of your left foot against the outside edge of the A pedal, then just flatten your foot to rock onto the B pedal. That is probably a less common move that the reverse -- i.e., rocking from B onto A -- but needs to be practiced to get the muscle memory established. Knee levers might well get in the way while you're learning where the REST of your leg goes when your pressing the appropriate pedal(s).

If you work on it and it still can't keep off the knee levers, you may try adjusting the angles of the levers. If that still doesn't work, YOU MAY BE A 'DAY' PLAYER (CBA). Some people have trouble rocking one way more than the other -- BUT -- rocking from A to B on the Emmons setup is the same move/angle as B to A on the Day. So you need to do both with either arrangement, but, in general, Emmons players rock more easily from right to left (that's holding B and rocking onto A) and Day players left to right (same move with CBA arrangement).

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:57 pm    

Mac,

If adjusting the LKL doesn't solve your problem, maybe adjusting the length of the pedal rods will. It is easier for me to rock from A to B than it is to rock from B to A. I solved this by slightly lengthening the A pedal rod so that I don't have to have the right side of my foot so much higher than the left...of course, you may have to adust other pedals down stream as a result.

Tom

David Friedlander

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 8:35 pm    

a lot of folks (me included) feel that a "Day" setup is far more natural.

Sounds like your problem would be solved immediately.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 11:34 pm    

Maybe your steel is set up with a lot of pedal travel, to make them easier to press.
Shorten the travel (by using different holes in the bellcranks and changer fingers) and your problem may vanish.

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 4:08 am    

If you play a S10 or SD10 the 'A' pedal should be situated in the second pedal-slot from the left.
On my D10 I often have to take quick remedial action when I have to do the A to B squeeze.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied

My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 2:06 am    

Thanks Larry, Tom, and Richard in particular. I'll bet I can get it with these tips.

Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 7:29 am    

I have always fought this and wound up engaging the LKL and sending things out of tune. I angled the LKL so far over that it felt like a vertical knee lever. I tried all sorts of homemade ideas including a vice grip. I have now ordered a Williams U-12 and Bill Rudolph is putting my LKL in the "First Position" so I can just move the angle toward my left knee if needed. He is also making this lever an inch longer. By doing this it will not affect the current location of the floor pedals (which concerned me initially).I think this will solve my left leg freedom and years of irritation.

[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 26 August 2005 at 08:32 AM.]

[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 26 August 2005 at 08:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by Rick Nicklas on 26 August 2005 at 01:50 PM.]

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2005 10:02 am    

Mac,what guitar do you play?

Kirk Hamre

Huntington Beach, California
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 7:22 am    

Try holding your heel up off the floor a few inches and hold your foot at about a 30 degree angle before you rock on to B pedal.
Keep practicing...you'll get it.

Mac Martine

Portland, Or
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2005 8:07 am    

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep at it for a while and see if I get it before changing my guitar around.

I'm playing an MSA Classic single 10 SS.

joe wright

Jackson, Michigan
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2005 9:47 am    

ABC or CBA DOES not matter. Whatever set-up you have you need both moves.

Step away and look at it from a movement stand point. You have different moves to make and regardless of what the pedal does underneath, its about rocking the ankle freely.

You should be sure you seat has your leg going from your hip to knee on a slightly downward angle. This allows you to bend your ankle easier.

This is NOT NATURAL so you may have to work these moves into your body.

You have four ankle positions over any two adjacent pedals:

1. foot over pedals ready to play
2. outside rock
3. inside rock
4. both pedals down

Those are the four moves that you should work on without trying to play anything with your hands. If you have limited movement in your ankle then you may need to do some stretches. It takes the human body to play this machine.

After you know the basic 4, you then learn to Float between them. Using A & B as an example...

Hold down A rock on to B.
Hold down B rock on to A.
A down rock off A onto B.
B down, rock off B onto A.
A & B down rock off A but hold B.
A & B down rock off B but hold A.

As you progress you can add the knee lever equasion into the mix...

Hold down A and hit LKL
Hold down A and hit LKR
Hold down B and hit LKL
Hold down A and hit LKR

Get the picture?

REGARDLESS of the pedals function you will have to make these moves and many more. Work on these moves away from trying to use your hands. ISOLATE and find what's going on with your body.

Working on the moves away from the licks makes learning easier and less confusing. The trouble with pedal steel is we try to do combination moves that our bodies do not understand or are physically unable to perform. By working on them separately you can speed up the learning process. It then is a matter of putting things together to create licks.

Steel has been taught by using LICKS to show people who's bodies are not capable of making the moves REQUIRED. Breaking this down into its component parts and then having your body assemble them slowly, will make learning easier....joe