The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stroboplus HD
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 11:29 am    

So far I find the new tuner kinda confusing,,,does not seem to work the same way consistently.

Anyone have a simple CONSISTENT way to toggle between U12 and P12?

Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 3:33 pm    

I went back to just using 0E9 and tune my B6th pedals by ear. They stay in pretty good and I check them now and then.
Maybe once or twice a year.

Last edited by Ken Metcalf on 7 Feb 2018 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 6:37 pm    

Sonny, Peterson has excellent customer service. Sue Haslem is very helpful.Ph # 708 388 3341 .

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 10:01 pm    

Sonny, the easiest way to toggle between the U and the P is to delete the other tunings. You can always bring them back. Once you set your end or P tunings you should only rarely need to go back to them.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:25 am    

Yes.

Connect your Stroboplus HD to your computer.

Using Google Chrome. Go to the Peterson website.

Login to your account.

Go to Configure your device.

Add U12 and P12 from the sidebar

Upload changes to the device.

Now you can toggle back and forth between the two with no further need to connect to the computer except for updates once in a while. Done.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 1:12 pm    

Hey Stefan,,,it's already "configured",,,these units have so many offsets programed into them,,,they are, for me anyway, very inconsistent. ,,,don't seem to work the same way twice. Talked to Sue this morning,,,hopefully it will work for me. I agree with Jon,,,,need to eliminate everything except what apply to my needs.[/u]

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 7:39 pm    

I still haven't programmed mine after...oh, 6 months or so. The documentation is almost nonexistent - I want written words I can refer to, not videos where I have to try to keep track of time points. The unit is complicated and not very intuitive - IMO the lack of documentation is a real shortcoming.

Example - it's still not clear to me whether adding one or two user-uploaded custom sweeteners, or temperaments, or whatever means I have to start from scratch, make notes and and load *everything* I want to use or whether they can just be added to the stock configuration. This is after several exchanges with support trying to get that specific question answered. I finally just gave up. So I still can't use it they way I intended to and it's used "out of the box".

They have to prepare a script each time the videos are updated - I don't understand why they can't prepare downloadable documentation at the same time. I used to write both scripts and tech manuals and it's just not that hard to create one from the other.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 8:31 am    

OK. queries:

1 Getting the unit to work accurately
2. Lack of documentation.Written HELP
3. Saving your Custom sweetners

1 - You can reset your unit and start fresh when connected to your browser. If none of this makes sense please contact Peterson or even easier. When you log into Peterson website with your Tuner connected they can even push out fresh settings for your device and re-start it for you if you contact their SUPPORT Team by logging a ticket. They are extremely good.

2. Documentation there is more than you realise available.
Please look at the links Below and read them thoroughly it will answer ALL your queries and then some.
https://www.petersontuners.com/beyond/?p=902

https://www.petersontuners.com/myinstrument/pedalSteel

http://76.12.22.162/media/pdf/StroboPlus_Steel.pdf

3. Saving your custom sweetners - YES you can easily. You DO NOT HAVE TO WRITE ANYTHING OUT BY HAND. You can save them to your Peterson account and easily so even if it is erased you can sign back in and restore in seconds.

Hope this helps.

NB: really cool tip if you go to the custom sweetners tab at the top there is a dedicated Steel Guitar collection set that will setup your device with ALL the Peterson official awesome Steel Guitar setups. In one simple click. Very Happy

I use SE9 Jeff Newman system for my 12 string E13#9/F Lap Steel its spot on.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 9:09 am    

For those who just want a simple step by step.

https://www.petersontuners.com/beyond/?p=943

But I recommend browsing through that Peterson Beyond site. It talks about Cabinet drop, pedal and lever adjustments/changes and fine tuning your steel.

Enjoy. Peterson tuners make your steel sound so crisp or smooth I find SE9 is so awesome but EM9 sounds smoother and works has compensations for Emmons setups and guitars.They have tunings for E9, C6 universal necks Lap Steel guitars but I have to admit that the SE9 is also awesome on E13 Lap Steel Guitar.

Hope this helps.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 9:17 am    

Stefan - respectfully, those links are of no use to me. They don't answer ALL of my questions - they don't answer ANY of them. I don't think you read my comments any more thoroughly than Peterson has.

I don't play E9 or C6 pedal steel, and "pedal steel specific" instructions are meaningless to me.

What I'm looking for is "tuner specific" documentation - not "instrument specific". I want to LOAD custom presets - something not covered in the user manual.

As far as support goes, as I already mentioned I've had discussions with support already. They either don't understand my (repeated) question or simply don't want to bother.

I still have no idea if loading custom presets will require me to start from scratch, erase the whole thing, and load every option I'll possibly use (along with the one or two user-created presets I want to load), or if I can just add the additional ones. I asked them this specific question several times and received no answer beyond instructions to use Chrome and connect to the site.

That's not what I consider documentation. I as also ticked off at being forced to install security-plagued Chrome to use it at all.

So to avoid ending up with a "dark" paperweight that has NO functions , I'm using it as found in the box, with only the metronome added. I guess since that was something I actually paid for installation documentation was justified. Documentation covering the operation of the metronome is as lacking as tuner documentation, though.

Documentation can be used to quickly look up specific processes and functions - and at the instrument or anywhere else. There is no way to do that with a video and I won't waste my time watching one, trying to remember...or note...times of specific things I need so I can go back and spend MORE time watching bits and pieces again later - always in front of the computer and nowhere else.

Peterson seems to do a fine job of making things easy for themselves, but not users.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2018 4:44 pm    

Jim to answer your question directly

Custom presets can be created in two ways

Manually on the tuner itself: these instructions are in the Peterson pdf guide under the section called presets
http://76.12.22.162/media/pdf/StroboPlus_OM.pdf

OR

Through the website portal in Google Chrome either creating your own or uploading from the user created forum sweetener library

No you don’t have to wipe your Peterson but you can if you want and start empty. Also you can reorder the positions of tunings directly on the tuner or in the Chrome browser.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 1:14 pm    

Quote:
No you don’t have to wipe your Peterson but you can if you want and start empty. Also you can reorder the positions of tunings directly on the tuner or in the Chrome browser.

Well, I guess I should have re-worded my question.

Loading a few user-created sweeteners resulted in ALL others being deleted - example, the "Dobro" sweetener that is in the unit as shipped is gone.

And apparently there is noway to access any sweeteners loaded unless they are presets. I think the preset limit is 10, so I loaded 10 but also loaded several other sweeteners I could use. I've spent over two hours watching videos trying to find how to access them - it's either not possible or they didn't write it into the scripts (or the tiny, incomplete manual).

It's absolutely ridiculous sitting through videos and having to pause to note the time of specific subject so details can be reviewed agin later - nobody I know could possibly remember everything included in the videos that's NOT otherwise documented.

With a video there is no "index", so you're completely on your own as far as creating usable reference notes. The videos are as useless as I anticipated - possibly moreso.

And that's the biggest problem with operation of this thing - it's a complicated device with NO useful documentation. I completely understand why other players I know don't buy one - operation is not intuitive, the videos are not good reference tools, and it's just too hard to use. IMO that's just unacceptable at this price point.

Why can't Peterson just create a manual like every other company? Their reasoning is that updates would be difficult - which is nonsense since they have to update the scripts for the videos. I used to write both scripts and documentation and it takes little extra time when you do both. So I assume they just don't *want* to.

aybe they like taking support calls, something I find - and have found in a few calls already - very time wasting . If a user has to make more than one phone call to support indicates major issues as far as I'm concerned, and I'm not going to call because there's no documentation covering normal operation. the idea of having to make "tutoring request" calls is absurd IMO.

So I'll have to roll my tuner - hopefully - back to stock configuration and live with it. It's now obvious to me that it can't be used as implied in the marketing materials - you can't just "add" custom sweeteners, or presets, or whatever without altering the standard operation. It's one or the other, and that's not how it appeared to operate from their marketing materials.

If it wasn't a good basic tuner and metronome I'd be trying to return it regardless of when I bought it.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 2:29 pm    

Jim,

Maybe this will help. When you download presets you tuner goes in to user mode and only those will show up. To see the presets that came with the unit hit the power and mode button at the same time. Scroll over to where you see usr and press in on the scroll wheel. You can then select FDR ( I think those are the initials) and the machine will reset and you will see all the presets that came with it.

Repeat the procedure to go back to the USR mode. If you connect to the website portal you can load a certain number of the Factory presets to the USR area.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2018 4:52 pm    

Mark I appreciate the advice, but I'm concerned that I'd spend time reloading the user-created sweeteners (or presets - honestly, it appears they're the same thing and the term changes only when one is placed in one of the 10 "preset" slots) and have one or both of these happen:

1) I won't be able to get to some of them, which is what happened last time. Two of the sweeteners I added to "presets" did not show on the unit. And I could only access the 8 presets that *did* show up. All the others were supposedly loaded but not accessible/visible. They show up on the computer's configuration screen as added sweeteners (and two in the preset section) but weren't visible anywhere on the tuner itself. Yes, I had hit the "update" button on the computer screen; I did it several times thinking it would fix the problem. It didn't.

2) *If* I can actually get to them I'm concerned that they will be deleted the second I press the two buttons you suggest. I found a reference to pressing "power" and "mode" in Peterson's documentation but they state it's a "reset" procedure. The quote from their documentation is below.

I don't want to waste my time setting it up again if I still won't be able to access features or the thing gets nuked. I couldn't care less about the firmware or hardware versions, I just want the thing to work as advertised. It's stupefying that I've spent hours just trying to configure the *$&^#@ thing - much less use it.

I've never encountered a non-intuitive device that was so poorly and/or wrongly documented - other than products with terrible language translations.

Again, the basic....very basic...functions are great and it's an excellent tuner. And metronome. But it's supposed to do SO much more and doesn't.

From Peterson's site:

Quote:
Configuration Menu
This menu is used to reset your StroboPlus to factory default settings and to determine the firmware and hardware version. To enter the configuration menu press the power button and the mode button at the same time.
The first setting to show will be C, indicating the configuration currently loaded.
FDR= Factory Default Reset
USR= User configured. This indicates that there has been a user configuration created on the PetersonConnectTM site and loaded to the device. To return to the factory default, select FDR with the selector knob and press in. If only dashes “-- -- --“ are shown there is no user configuration on your tuner.
Rotating the selector knob will next show F and the firmware that is currently installed in your tuner. There will be three numbers displayed; combined they indicate the installed firmware version.
H indicates the hardware version of the tuner.
To exit this menu, press the mode button.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 3:32 am    

I'll agree the documentation leaves something to be desired. I found the YouTube videos much easier to understand and get my tuner set up the way I wanted it.

I was using the Newman Sweetened tunings but its a hassle switching between the opens and the pedal/knee lever programs (and there are common knee lever changes that are not included as the Newman settings were introduced before they became common). I developed my own programs where the opens and pedal/knee lever settings (except for two) are all in one program. The two that are not in the basic program for E9th the 4th string E to F# raise and the E to Eb lowers are not often needed so having them in a separate program is not a big deal. I did the same thing for the C6th and all are in one except the 3rd string C to B lower. I have "shared" (as Peterson calls it) my tunings with quite a few.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2018 3:11 pm    

Quote:
The two that are not in the basic program for E9th the 4th string E to F# raise and the E to Eb lowers are not often needed so having them in a separate program is not a big deal

Jack, what I still can't seem to confirm is whether it's possible to retain all the "stock" functions AND switch to a custom configuration using the button combination tat was described above.

The "manual" quote I found seems to say no, and I am tired of spending time loading custom settings only to end up deleting them so I can use "stock" functions.

That's one critical question I could not get Peterson to answer despite several requests - can A) user-created sweeteners from the Peterson website be simply *added* to the tuner, or B) do you have to essentially start from scratch & install every sweetener you plan to use (meaning all of the stock ones are removed when you start loading ones from the library)?

Each time I loaded *some* user-created sweeteners the standard ones evaporated - so either there';s more work involved than anticipated or I guess I'm having some unknown problem with the procedure.

I'm also baffled as to why many of the user-created sweeteners I installed could not be found unless I had them set up as one of the 10 "presets". The others show on the computer as installed, the unit supposedly updated fine - but none beyond the 10 presets can be found. Is there some undocumented/non-video way of accessing them?

I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm answers those two questions.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 3:30 am    

I "think" the stocks are gone with custom programs. Along with my custom steel programs I have one that is the basic Chromatic tuner program. Thus if the Bass or Lead Guitar player borrows my tuner they can use the Chromatic Tuner function.

I have 4 programs in my tuner. E9th, C6th, Extras and Chromatic.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2018 5:20 am    

Unless I am missing the boat here there are modes of this tuner. One is the user mode. That contains custom settings and whatever settings you move over from the presets when you get on the website. You can switch back and forth on the tuner by pressing mode and power at the same time and changing between user and FDR. I just checked and anything moved over to the user area is still in the FDR area.

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2018 1:42 pm    

I set it aside a few days ago after (supposedly) returning it to factory configuration ("FDR").

I needed it today for some string changing - and all the presets other than "EQU" are gone. Yes, I'm turning the knob. The preset never changes. All the stock ones have been deleted.

Basically, it's been "bricked".

To make matters worse, I created a detailed support ticket that said very specifically put the answers in writing - do not call.

Somebody called and got upset *with me* because I didn't like it.

Just like the last couple of times Peterson's either people didn't read or ignored part of the ticket.

I won't belabor this - if I get any useful setup information that might help others I'll post it. Meanwhile, I have no idea what to do other than use it as a very expensive metronome and buy another tuner.

I no longer recommend any Peterson products. Documentation is very incomplete (as are the videos they ask users to watch) and support is the weakest I've encountered in the music industry.