The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stringmaster pickup height?
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 9:33 am    

Well, some gigs have come up where I've gotten my Stringmasters out of storage where they've been for a loooong time, cleaned and strung them, and gone back to playing stand-up again. Boy, what a hoot and a LOAD of fun it's been!

But their pickup heights are way too high such that some strings, when picked, buzz against and touch the covers. I know I could just lower them to what I think "sounds best", and I have to eliminate the buzz, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Jim VanBuskirk

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 12:44 pm     pickup height

ive got a D2 stringmaster too.
of course you have to lower the pickup at least until the physical string doesnt hit the plastic cover but i found another dilemma that you may encounter as well.
at certain frequencies i have a resonant buzz sound without the actual string touching.
i finally figured out that it was the plastic cover vibrating against the mounting hole AND the internal pickup.
i unscrewed the cover plate and lifted off the plastic covers carefully. it appears that this vibration problem was initially mitigated by some waxy substance on the top of the actual pickup. this apparently had shrunk back over the years and was no longer doing its job.
not wanting to add more waxy stuff i took a piece of very soft foam from a door jamb strip and slivered a couple very thin slices about the length of the pickup. i put these alongside the pickup pole pieces and put the plastic cover back.
solved all the resonant vibration issues without any other mods.
just another day at the office......

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 12:53 pm    

It's not really a question. Just adjust them to a position that has no mechanical buzz - then adjust within that area for best sound.

There is no "spec" when it comes to pickup height, especially with vintage pickups. output and magnet strength vary widely, so they have to be adjusted on a case-by-case basis.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 2:29 pm    

I think there's some rough guideline about being able to fit 2 quarters under the strings. It's a place to start.

Chris Scruggs

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 9:37 pm    

Yep. Two quarters.

Tom Snook

Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 7:08 pm    

Didn't there used to be a Stringmaster web SITE? I can't remember the guys name,Sitka or something but there was lots of info.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 8:46 pm    

I think you mean John Tipka. As far as I can tell the web site is gone, but I found it on the Internet archive, all the info is there for those interested:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060811193343/http://home.insight.rr.com:80/steelgtr/stringmaster.html