The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1971 MSA Mini Pro 3 X 4 - $1100
Scott Honea

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2018 4:13 am    

This is a rare MSA Mini Pro 10-string pedal steel built by Al Collins in 1971 in the very early days of MSA. Emmons setup with three pedals and four knee levers (Copedent below). It originally had just one knee lever and three others were later added. I bought this as my first pedal steel and have really enjoyed it but have recently upgraded to a newer GFI. This pedal steel has recently been given the once over with new strings and a setup by Steve Lamb at Lamb's Music in Fort Worth. It is a pull-release style that stays in tune nicely and has smooth action on both pedals and levers. Mr. Lamb replaced the pickup with an older Emmons and it sounds very warm.

The guitar features a solid wood/metal-reinforced cabinet with a wrap around it featuring the original MSA logo. Cosmetically it's not perfect but there's nothing to suggest abuse. It has been well loved and played. The only issue I am aware of is that the fourth string is a bit finicky when fine tuning at the changer, but tunes fine at the head. I'm also not sure if the volume knob is functioning properly. It seems to be set wide open. This is never a problem because of the volume pedal.

The serial number on this unit is 1015.

The original carpet-lined hardshell case is included. Asking $1100 plus shipping.

Copedent

A pedal - Raises 5 and 10 from B to C#
B pedal - Raises 3 and 6 from G# to A
C pedal - Raises 4 and 5 to F# and C#
LKL - Raises 4 from E to F
LKR - Drops 8 from E to D#
RKL - Raises 1 from F# to G
RKR - Drops 2 from D# to D