The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adjusting Franklin pickup
Tommy Roten

Trondheim, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2005 11:13 am    

I have a Franklin D-10 with BL 705, and the sound on the C6 neck is a little muddy og has too high output compared to the E9 neck. I tried to adjust the pickup down to about 3/16, but it won't seem go that far down, before the "adjustingscrews" start coming up. Do anybody of You know a "trick" to get it further down?

------------------
Franklin D-10, MSA D-10, Goodrich volped, Mesa Boogie Quad preamp, ProfexII, Mosvalve 1500, 2xEminence 12", Nashville 400,
www.tommy-steel.com
pertrot@frisurf.no

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 9:04 pm    

I hesitate to interfer, however; I did play a Franklin PSG from ’80 until ’04 and have a little knowledge of what to l©©k for in your situation! _ _ _ _ The P/U was not intended to sit that low in the pocket, however; if you losen the strings and ‘carefully’ remove the (4) small mounting~screws that hold the P/U onto the Aluminum under~plate and ‘carefully lift the P/U out of the pocket, you may be able to determine what the under~plate is resting on when the (3)-heigth~adjusting are turned CCW. Perhaps you'll find too much P/U lead~wire under that Aluminum~plate. If so, ‘carefully’ pull a litle more lead~wire down, through the hole in the body to get it out of the way. Or, you might find a small washer/spacer between the (4) P/U~tabs and the Aluminum~plate. If so, ‘carefully’ remove them and lay them aside for future use. Then your P/U will be seated a little lower when you replace the P/U onto the Aluminum~plate w/o a spacer between the tabs and the Aluminum~plate. _ _ _ _ My first thought is that there is some obstruction between the Aluminum~plate and the Body that won't allow the plate to be lowered. _ _ _ _ Normal ‘Rule-of-thumb’ on that P/U is only a distance of (2)-Quarters between the P/U and the bottom of the strings. If you're not satisfied with the present sound of this GREAT~GUITAR, it's most likely the ‘Wrong P/U’ for your taste! I used Geo.L's is some of my Franklins and also BL–710's successfully in others. I doubt very much that it is a Mfgr.'s mistake! JMHO! I hope this will help solve your particular dis-satisfaction!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site

Tommy Roten

Trondheim, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 11:59 pm    

Thanks for the tip John! But since we don't have quarters here in Norway, what is ca the hight of two? I've read that 3/16 is a good hight though...

------------------
Franklin D-10, MSA D-10, Goodrich volped, Mesa Boogie Quad preamp, ProfexII, Mosvalve 1500, 2xEminence 12", Nashville 400,
www.tommy-steel.com
pertrot@frisurf.no

[This message was edited by Tommy Roten on 23 August 2005 at 01:01 AM.]

Andy Schick

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:15 pm    

Tommy,
My BL 710's are 3/16" to the string. I used a drill bit across for the adjustment. I hoppe this helps. This info I recieved directly from Mr Franklin.
Thanks Andy

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 11:51 pm    

3/16” is correct for the L-710, but; I think (2)-Quarters is closer to correct for the L-705, as well as most other P/U's!

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
’04 SD–10 Black Derby w/3 & 5 & Pad
’65 Re-Issue Fender Twin–Reverb Custom™ 15” Eminence
web site