The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowering Problems On Sho~Buds
John Coop

YORKTOWN, IND. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 5:03 pm    

The finger on the left is an origional Sho~Bud and the one on the right is mine. As you can see, mine has a lot more travel to lower with. You have to have this extra travel to do sucessful whole tone lowers especially on 6-10

on the E9 neck. Coop

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 8:52 pm    

Just Completely AWESOME.
You can see the relation of the moving point and the pivot point on the Coop Finger is broader than the old finger; giving the finger top more room to move and let the string lower.
Genious re-design by John Coop; yet again.
Oh and of course the ball-bearing roller on Coop's finger assembly will NEVER wear a groove in the finger top, like the old style finger assembly does> pretty much right out of the box.
Good job.
Ricky

[This message was edited by Ricky Davis on 22 August 2005 at 09:53 PM.]

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 11:42 pm    

A further refinement that I would like to see would be to redesign the bottom plate, so that a longer Lower Return Spring could be employed.
When longer springs are used, the effort to lower, say, a wound sixth (because of the large amount of travel) is greatly reduced.
R B

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:03 am    

Oh just great John.. I dump one Bud after another because they have so much trouble achieving FULL tone lowers,especially on strings 2 and 3... Now you FIX the problem,and I now have NO excuse not to buy/play a Sho Bud...nice job! ...

In all seriousness, some steels have NO problem lowering the 3rd string G# to F#...

Buds can't do it with the stock changer... not even close... Will your fingers make this change possible??.. I may have asked you this question already, several months back.. if so ,my apologies for being an air head and forgetting your answer....

also,would there be any problem if I just replaced the fingers needed to make these lowers,and keeping the stock units on strings that raise, or just lower a half tone? bob

[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 23 August 2005 at 04:05 AM.]

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:50 am    

and real aluminum!

John Coop

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 6:08 am    

Bob..Yes, you could replace just a few of the fingers but why would you want to keep those "stock" fingers on there only to experience wear and friction problems down the road? Jim...The fingers are made of chrome plated steel, not aluminum. Coop

John Coop

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 6:11 am    

Bob..Yes they will do a full tone lower with plenty of room to spare! Just ask Ricky Davis about the ones on "Big Jim Murphy's" Pro II he played for 8 months. Coop

John Coop

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 6:18 am    

Also..Mine look like they have a "Mom and a Dad"!!! Coop

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 9:22 am    

John..This is good news indeed.. Since the first part of this year, I've shown two different Pro I Buds the door. At least partly due to the "not low enough" problem.. I LOVE Sho Bud looks and sound, but have never been happy with the changers.. Worn fingers,needing to be modded to get a full tone lower.. that was always a "dicey" proposition.. usually a "close enough for rock and roll" situation with no reserve and needing a little bar slant towards the peghead. Its good to know that I can now feel confident I will be able to put my copedent on a Sho Bud, and that it WILL work.... Thanks for your fast reply!! bob

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 10:39 am    

John,
Would you get off that danged computer and get back to work on my guitar?!?!?!?!

Just kiddin' my Tennessee brotha!
I'm spreading the word wherever possible.

John's a stand-up guy with a great product -- most every Sho-Bud out there could benefit from his expertise.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2003 Fessenden S/D-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S/D-12 6x6, 1984 Sho-Bud S/D-12 7x6, 1971 Dobro, Standel and Peavey Amps

John Coop

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 7:38 pm    

>>>

John Coop

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 10:27 pm    

>>>