The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Interesting FWIW
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 1:34 pm    

I use an older XP laptop for my steel guitar stuff. When I did the test run for Paul Franklin's course I tested it on my win10 machine,,,ran fine. Later when I signed up and tried to run on my XP,,,it would NOT run (I could access the program but when I tried to run the video and clicked the run arrow, the screen "greyed" out). I contacted them to get a refund and was told the program was not designed to run on a OS that was not supported by windows. Also tried to run it on Linux Cinnamon,,,no go). Anyway,,,I dug out another machine for another purpose ,,an XP Pro OS,,,curiously tried to run Pauls course and ,,,,IT WORKED!!!!

Does not work on XP Home,,,,DOES work on XP Pro,,,,gi figure.

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 9:04 am    

Probably some codec compatibility issues.

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 9:53 am    

I was using a PC with XP for my music related software, since it was offline I wasn't concerned with security.

When I signed up for the PFM, I connected back up and the videos initially worked, but then stopped working. I installed several different browsers and they too worked for a short time and then stopped operating the videos. I contacted the site and was told that the video hosting service they use is not compatible with WinXP - so I will be installing Win 7 on that PC.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2018 3:38 pm    

Hey Mike,,,have you tried upgrading to XP Professional??? Mine is working fine with that OS.

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2018 9:56 am    

Sonny,

I do have XP Pro SP3 installed - when I first ran the Test Drive it worked; then when I enrolled, the videos would not play - then I tried the K-Meleon and Midori browsers - each worked for a while, then stopped playing the videos. I'm gonna get a downloadable version of Win7 ( around $20) and try that - in the meantime I have a Win8 laptop that works.