The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LG111 problem - a happy ending!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 1:53 pm    

Further to my recent question on here regarding the 'slipping' LKL on my D10 LG111, Bud Vanderberg was kind enough to make the journey from his home to the Golden Apple Dinner Theatre here in Sarasota, armed with his trusty tool-kit!

We'd pretty much decided that the failing bell-crank theory held the most water, but on turning the guitar upside-down it wasn't immediately apparent that that was the case. Both the bell-cranks on the cross-shaft were fine.

However..... on my guitar there is a mini-cross-shaft which carries the actual LKL, and the movement is transferred about an inch to the right by means of a pair of bell-cranks linked by a 1" rod (are all the LeGrandes like this?) to the main cross-shaft.

Eagle-eyed Bud spotted this, and there was the culprit - one of the BCs was horribly bent, creating an ever-increasing angle, and the inconsistent 'lower' on my Es.

I had a spare, and Bud swapped them in about five minutes! Of course, when I sat behind the guitar, I had to let off a number of turns on the hex, as strings 4 + 8 were almost dropping to a D!

My thanks to all who helped, but to Bud in particular - Bradenton has an Emmons 'Guru'!

Best wishes,

Roger R. (now a happy camper..... )

Charles Dempsey

Shongaloo, LA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 5:25 pm    

On my LeGrande 3, LKL is attached directly to its full width cross shaft, and has two bellcranks which carry rods attached directly to the E9 changer.

LKR and RKR operate short rods which go to other cross shafts, but not LKL.

Charlie

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2005 6:21 pm    

are all the LeGrandes like this?)
No but my LIII is. Because I have 2 LKL on E9. In the other post when I mentioned check your driver cranks.This is what I had in mind.........bb

Joe Fortune

2900 Ontario Dr Springfield, Il 62707
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 7:34 am    

I had the same failing bellcrank problem on my LG III. Only me problem was on the C6th
where a RKR was raising the 6th string from an E to F. Other pulls were on the same lever and may have contributed to the problem, but this was the most used change for the RKR.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 7:39 am    

It sounds like the knee lever stop was not on the knee lever. The problem with that is that the linkage between knee lever and stop must handle more force than necessary.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 11:50 am    

The actual knee-lever 'stop' was one of those nylon-looking blocks attached to the inside-back of the guiitar; pretty solid, I'd say.

Further to the original problem (both strings being affected seemed a bit mysterious at first), this was obviously because the faulty bell-crank was remote from the main cross-shaft and its failure was influencing the rotation of the main shaft. The fact that the 8th string was more affected than the 4th was undoubtedly because of the different string-gauges involved.

I'm learning more about this stuff everyday.....

RR

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 11:53 am    

Hey, Bobby...

I missed your reply at first.

Now I understand - 'driver cranks' is a new one on me, but the term makes sense. Thanks for your insight.

I, too, have two LKLs.

RR

[This message was edited by Roger Rettig on 25 August 2005 at 12:54 PM.]