The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question for Ricky Davis, Bud Pro1
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 9:03 am    

Ricky
I have been working out some old Bobby Vinton songs and I wanted to get a little better 1/2 pedal action on my Bud 1, so I wanted to connect the pedal pull rods to the third hole, out away from the bellcrank, but there is no way to do this because the bellcrank stop adjuster is in the way of the rod hook.
The only way I see to do it would be to completely remove & re adjust the stop ,which would mean drilling Etc.
Is this the way the Bud Pro 1 is fabricated ? Seems strange to have three rod pull holes & only two are usable.
Sorry to burden you with this but in my opinion, you are the go to man when it comes to the Buds, thanks buddie

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 9:36 am    

Yeah Richard; that's pretty much the design on the round crossbar Sho-bud's. That arm has to stop somewhere; to having it hit on the furthest point; will give up having the furthest hole as a option; unless you move the stops. I have moved many stops of course for players that want a longer throw(like myself; I love a long throw); so just chalk it up to; now having two places to put the stops when and if you need it there...ha.
But; there are some other options you can try first; to get a longer throw.
It there is a raise spring on a string you want to slow down; take it off. Also the ball connector on the pedal itself; can be moved to the furthest hole from the pedal board axle. Also; loosen the adjustable Lower spring on that given finger several turns or just enough to have that finger lower and come back if you are lowering it also> that will make the raise section as lazy as possible; and give it a longer throw.
You can try one or two or all these small techniques first; to see if that gives you the amount of throw you desire; and of course you will need more distance; as the finger gets lazier with any of these adjustments.
Also; if your wanting it for the 5th string; I know I advocate a .018p; but a .017p will even move slower and need more distance> is even another thing you can try.
Ok; that should give you some things to work on..ha....and if you need more ideas; I have about 10 more....ah..ha..; but you will have to be more specific about which fingers you want to do what; and what exact mechanism you have; as there were several on the single-10 and pro-I.
Ricky

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 10:40 am    

Man ,thanks a lot Ricky, this will give me a few options to try first
You the man!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2005 10:43 am    

Welcome