The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buddy Emmons 'At E's', and at his best...
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 8:07 am    

... reads the title, and it is in this original tune with Bobby Caldwell and Russ Wever on bass, video provided by drummer Bobby Regot
and edited by Bill Ferguson.
1990 At E's Buddy Emmons
A well-developed tune, one that it's no wonder to someone late to the party or from yet another planet would think that Buddy Emmons
came from jazz rather than vice versa. He was born to it, man.

You may have seen this from Scotty's Christmas Party 1990, possibly with the same personnel.
Buddy Emmons on his best - SS Cool
Not sure what that means, if it's the title--the mid-section, three-part inventions from what planet? etc and a bouree and disco-ragtime
that had the guitarist standing looking and guffaws from the audience, or Scotty.
I don't know how Mr. Emmons would have felt about the matter and wouldn't presume, for all I know he may have thought that he had
everybody fooled when it came to jazz. I don't agree, this is creative stuff, can't fool me.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 9:23 am    

this is great footage, wish the audio was louder but we're lucky to have it at all.

I've played At E's for almost 20 years and recently decided to sit and learn Buddy's solo from the original recording which has been a great lesson in many ways and makes me wonder if he had any of the solo mapped out in advance or just totally improvised it on the spot.

I was also thinking of starting a thread about the best steel guitar instrumentals because At E's takes the prize in my opinion, at least on C6.

just did some googling on S.S. Cool, which was apparently written by guitarist Chuck Wayne and was the title of a Zoot Sims record that Wayne appeared on. I've heard other steel players do it, including Weldon Myrick and Jimmie Crawford but it became one of Buddy's signature songs and he ended his sets with it for many years, always stretching it out at the end and stretching the limits of what he could do on the instrument which was practically anything

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 10:37 am    

Cool, Scott, At E's is a great tune, and in this version these players are pretty at ease and blowin jazz. Yeah, At E's takes it.
I personally think he's improvising, but for him that'd be drawing from a large set of phrases that are worked out,
so to be presumptive, who knows. Zoot Sims. Yeah, I mean that's not country or pop.

scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2018 12:05 pm    

learned Kicks To Boot not long ago too. that's another killer. Buddy wrote some great, interesting tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwpwfhpsx4s

can't forget 4-Wheel Drive either. how bout this version with Jimmy Bryant??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYe4tYvOxeo

found the Zoot Sims album on discogs.com, went ahead and ordered it. there's a few copies left, all from Europe