The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for info on DD3 Distortion
Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 4:17 am    

Hello all...

Im 8 months into my PSG journey and just started using a DD3. I have the knobs all at about 10 o'clock and the mode is at 800ms. Anyway, it seems I'm getting distortion in the delay. I have ran it before and after the volume pedal and through the pre and post EQ patches.

If I have a BRAND NEW BATTERY in,its sounds fine when I use the pre EQ patch, but only for a short time. I do have a wall wart on the way to tey and resolve this issue...

I know these boxes are made for 6 string guitars, so my question is would lowering my pickup help at all (even though my steel sounds nice and clean without the dd3)?

As these units are used a lot in the PSG world, I'm sure this problem has occurred with someone else to... I'm just hoping it isn't the DD3 itself that Is screwy. I saw somewhere about the pots in the delay pedal but I'm not tech savvy.

Any help is appreciated. FWIW, I have a 705 in my Pro Lite and I'm using a NV112 with the MOD reverb tank (set to about 4-4 1/2).

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 8:35 am    

It sounds like a defective DD3.
I use that unit with my steel with no problem.
Erv

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 10:33 am    

I'm assuming it's just a power issue because when I put a new battery in, no problems.
Maybe I'm just using cheap batteries but they drain quick...
I know the DD3 uses a lot of power but, good grief, if you use batteries only with these things, I don't know gow you don't go brokw!

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 10:57 am    

I think a good power supply should do the trick.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 10:58 am    

I'm thinking so to Lee, or I'm hoping. I ordered one from Boss

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 11:00 am    

I always use a wall wart.
Erv

Chris Tarrow

Maplewood, NJ
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 12:15 pm    

if your dry sound is clean but the echo is distorted, that is definitely a power issue. Delays are the greediest when it comes to voltage, I never use batteries it's too expensive!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 12:19 pm    

I would say it is quite expensive to stick with batteries. I have had this unit since Monday and put in the second new battery this morning. Granite I play 4 hours at a time but still... I read on the boss website that these units do you use more power so you are absolutely correct that's why you don't want to use a cheap wall wart

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 1:42 pm    

Jim, the BOSS DD3 unit will eat through batteries(especially cheap ones) in my experience. The best thing to do in my opinion, is to spring for a lithium 9v and unplug your guitar cables from it when not in use...at least until the wall wart arrives. The distortion from a weakening battery is common on them, and just about any active circuit type pre-amp/effects box. Best to you!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2018 3:06 pm    

Thanks Ed...
I have learned that these cheap 9 volts don't last in this unit for sure. I should have the wall wart by Saturday thankfully but until then, that's what I'll do; buy a lithium 9 volt.
Although not something I would use at church when I play, the HOLD feature is pretty neat. I was striking a note, holding it and turning down the delay time to find the key I want to play in... this way I csn use it as kind of a bass line under what I'm playing. Like I said fun to play with...

Other than this little issue that I've figured out, thanks to everyone help, I really enjoy this unit. It makes the reverb (with the MOD tank) in my NV 112 sound real nice. Just fattens it up nicely!

Thanks all!

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 8:51 am    

Jim Morris wrote:
Thanks Ed...
I have learned that these cheap 9 volts don't last in this unit for sure. I should have the wall wart by Saturday thankfully but until then, that's what I'll do; buy a lithium 9 volt.
Although not something I would use at church when I play, the HOLD feature is pretty neat. I was striking a note, holding it and turning down the delay time to find the key I want to play in... this way I csn use it as kind of a bass line under what I'm playing. Like I said fun to play with...

Other than this little issue that I've figured out, thanks to everyone help, I really enjoy this unit. It makes the reverb (with the MOD tank) in my NV 112 sound real nice. Just fattens it up nicely!

Thanks all!

I have a Digitech Distortion factory that eats batteries like that. I only used Duracell, and I would put a new battery in at the beginning of a gig, and in the 4th set, the battery would be dead enough for it not to work. I never use any battery in pedals any more.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 8:59 am    

If you run a few stomp boxes, 1 Spot power supply is the way to go. Very Happy
Erv