The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MXR Carbon Copy.
Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 4:48 pm    

Used this pedal for years on the six string, added a really warm authentic echo. I've being trying to incorporate it into the steel with little success. With the steel it adds a cold, edgy tone that I'm unable to EQ out on my Nashville 112. Anybody have any suggestions for an analog delay that's a bit milder?

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:53 pm    

What steel are you using it with, and were you playing your 6-string with it through the Nashville? I've used at least a dozen different analog delays and there is little difference in the way the delays themselves affect tone. There usually isn't much in the way of "tone shaping" - they're warmer sounding than digital units because of the slight amount of distortion that is an inherent part f the analog "bucket brigade" chip-based circuit.

Many pedal steels are naturally treble-heavy and "edgy" - if the pickup is hot and voiced towards the treble end that could be the problem. Same with the amp, which is not one of the warmest-sunding amps ever made.

Last, did you have any other pedals in line with the MXR, and is the entire chain now different? That's another factor.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 6:00 pm    

I like the Strymon Brigadier better than the Carbon Copy, but it still thins the tone out a bit. I sold my Carbon Copy and rarely use my Brigadier. A tube driven spring reverb (as in a Twin) is what sounds best to me.

Neal Vosberg

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 6:37 pm    

I've historically used the MXR with a six string through an old Deluxe. I can get a really pleasant mix through the high gain input without the MXR, the low gain doesn't have the body but when I'm using the MXR I'm forced to plug into low gain to combat the unpleasant clipping that occurs, so I've basically answered my own question. Will a digital delay clip out in the same way as a chip delay will?

Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 5:26 am    

Have you tried it in the Post-EQ effects loop? I used to use a Carbon Copy there with my Nashville 112 and remember liking it better than out front of the preamp section. Fewer pedal-produced artifacts seemed to have been amplified or exaggerated that way.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 6:10 am    

Are you using a powered volume pedal? If so, you could just be overdriving the stomp box. You might try raising the amp volume significantly, which forces you to use less volume pedal. Sometimes, that helps eliminate overloading the chain, which may be the culprit.

Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 9:00 am     spare

I use the Carbon Copy. Gonna pick up a spare. I would really hate to work without it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 9:25 am    

For an inexpensive Carbon Copy clone, the Joyo JF-33 works for me. Mine was under $27.00 shipped.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 5:57 pm    

Rob Fenton wrote:
Have you tried it in the Post-EQ effects loop? I used to use a Carbon Copy there with my Nashville 112 and remember liking it better than out front of the preamp section. Fewer pedal-produced artifacts seemed to have been amplified or exaggerated that way.

Exactly , I use a delay in the pre and a digital reverb in the post. Sounds great.

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 7:22 am    

Jack Hanson: "For an inexpensive Carbon Copy clone, the Joyo JF-33 works for me. Mine was under $27.00 shipped. "

The Joyo JF-33 is inexpensive.
It may solve your delay needs.
But.....

It is not a CC clone.
From what I could dig up on the internet:
- The max delay time is around 440 ms, versus the CC 600+ ms.
- The CC has a modulation button, which adds a subtle chorus/wow/flutter to the delay. I have a CC and I keep that modulation on all of the time.
- It appears that the Joyo is digital, not analog.

Also, FWIW, I have suspicions that the CC is not true bypass, but rather hardwire bypass. They are not the same. I do not know what the Joyo is.

Electro Harmonix also has what appear to be a couple of "their versions" of a CC.
Specifically the Memory Boy and Memory Toy.
I did not do any research on them.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 1:51 pm    

The Joyo pedals are also very cheaply built and don't hold up to much abuse. I dropped a simple direct box pedal and wires popped loose inside. Not a big deal, but something I've never had happen in decades of MXR use. And a micro pedal (1/4 size, like the Hotone pedals) simply failed.

Not recommended.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional