The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Emmons 1968 Rosewood D10 Plus Parts
Mike Hiland

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 4:43 pm    

Hello all…

As you may have seen in my other ads, dad passed away several months back and left behind the used 1968 Rosewood Emmons D10 listed here. This guitar has more history than dad’s other guitars, and I will do my best to share as much as I know. Dad kept notes on various conversations about the guitar.

1968 Emmons D10 Pedal Steel Guitar Serial No. 1098D
Rosewood Finish
9 Floor Pedals
2 Knee levers
Hard Case (black tolex, yellow plush lining) – outside in good shape; inside shows some wear

According to dad’s notes (he called Emmons and asked about the origin), the guitar was originally shipped from the factory in July 1968. Dad purchased the guitar from Red Rhodes in Los Angeles, CA on April 12, 1969.

Dad used this guitar to play bars and clubs in the Los Angeles area beginning around 1969/70. We believe dad stopped playing out around 1972/73. The guitar did not leave the house after he stopped playing out. Dad developed other interests, then returned to pedal steel in 1988 and may have played this guitar at home a bit before purchasing the 1989 D10 listed elsewhere on this forum. This one has been in the case since the late 1980’s.

In a note to Ron Lashley dated January 12, 1973, dad purchased “two new single coil (10-string 15,000 ohm) pickups” in exchange for the original pickups. Dad also purchased a new Emmons nameplate at the time. I can only assume the pickups and nameplate were installed as we do not find those parts.

In another letter dated August 9, 1988, dad ordered the following items from Ron Lashley. I do not find the fretboards, but we have a box full of mechanical and electrical parts that look like these parts and others.

Items ordered:
2 x Fretboards with adhesive
2 x Gauged roller nut assemblies (with axles) E9 & C6
10 x Set screw collars
1 x LNR Knee Lever Kit Complete
1 x RNL Knee Lever Kit Complete (w ½ stop)
(Knee levers include 2 raise rod assemblies for existing LNL lever)
1 x Vertical lever kit
2 x Springs

As indicated, this guitar was used for live gigs and has a few marks to show for it. But, dad was quite meticulous and took excellent care of his instruments. All electronics are in good working order. I am posting photos to show both the beauty of the guitar as well as the nicks and marks.

We are happy to include the toolbox of parts with this guitar and asking $4000 for all items we have including ground shipping to the continental United States. The guitar is located near Los Angeles, CA and will ship from there.

Don Hemmer

Krum TX USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 3:45 am     Emmons

Hi I will purchase your guitar.
It would be an honored to put your dads guitar back in action. Thanks Don

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 5:30 pm    

If Don doesn't take it, I'm interested.

Mike Hiland

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 6:01 pm     Sale Pending

Sale is pending on this guitar. Thanks for your interest!

Kyd Brenner

Washington, DC/Harman WV
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 9:57 pm    

Mike - not in the market for a new guitar (have an '84 SKH LeGrande that I love along with a few Carters) but this is beauty and seeing the way your Dad kept it up and kept all the documentation really impressed me. Everyone should be as attentive to detail with their instruments as he was. I see you already have people lining up, so good luck with the same and kudos to you Dad, must have been a great guy.

Mike Hiland

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 6:22 pm     Sold

This guitar has been sold. Thanks to everyone for your interest!

Mike H.