The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd course questions
Brian Rung

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 12:20 pm    

I'm going to take the plunge and order it, I have a few questions for those that have taken the course before I buy.

How much of the course can I complete on a 6 string tuning? I know Jerry used a 7 string quite a bit, and most of the tab that I have seen for his pieces is written for 8 string tunings.

I have a D6 Iolana that I will be using for the course after I replace the tuner buttons, which tunings should I use on the two necks?

My other lap steel is a valco single 6 that is always in C6, so I could tune the Iolana D6 to the instructional material if it is applicable to 6 string tuning.

Thanks!

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 12:46 pm    

"How much of the course can I complete on a 6 string tuning?"

All of it. It takes you through a number of tunings before getting to C6. It is all written for 6 string. A tuning is the first one, I believe, then E7th, and it goes from there.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 1:17 pm    

Excellent question. As Bill says, the course is written for 6 string. You can tune one of your Iolana necks to an open E (E,B,E,G#,B,E lo to hi)and get the E,E7 and C#min tunings that he covers without changing pitch more than a whole step on any string. Tune the other neck to A (A,C#,E,A,C#,E) for the first chapter. You can change strings 4,5 &6 on that neck when you get to the C6 chapter but you already have a C6 guitar so between those three necks you'll have it covered.

Note: this advice is for solid body lap steels only - not acoustic lap steels.

Brian Rung

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 3:32 pm    

Thanks for the info, I can run a C6th 15-36 set for the A tuning, I've never used an E tuning on a lap steel.

Looks like the "E" set is 13-56 from GHS, both tunings have an E on the first string...is the 13 too light? Don't see why I shouldn't use a 15.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 3:43 pm    

Just pulled out my course. For the first tuning (A Major tuning) Jerry recommends 15, 17, 19, 30, 32 or 34, 42

For next tuning (E major) you keep the same strings.

Next tuning is E7th, same strings used.

next tuning is C# minor, no indication of string gauges changing.

Next tuning is C# minor 9th. Recommendation is to change 5th string to 30 and 6th string to 34

Next tuning is E13th: 3rd string changes to 16, 4th to 22(plain), 5th to 28, 6th to 30

next tuning is B 11th, no change of string gauges

Then you get to C6th recommend gauges are 15, 17, 22, 23 or 24, 30, 35

Nathan Laudenbach

Montana
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:02 pm    

Just get the book. Its the single greatest resource for becoming a better player. And yes, you can complete the course on a six string, but don't rule out upgrading to an 8 string before you complete the course. It could take years to get through.