The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  msa d-10 classic SS p.s.g
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 8:51 am    

anyone still playing a msa classic SS models?? would like to here some audio on this guitar and what is your set up

thanks

p.w

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:06 pm    

I'm gonna be playing one again when I get this one restored. Purtiest steel gitar I ever saw.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 6:58 pm    

TTT

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 6:58 am     msa d-10 classic SS p.s.g

darvin,
that's a pretty guitar you got wow Whoa!
bet it sounds great...

p.w

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 8:53 am    

I never even played it. I have to lift all of mine 1 1/2" to 2" or I can't get under them. As soon as I got it, I tore it down for a complete restoration. The body went to Mark Giles to get the little dings and scrapes fixed. It'll look like brand new when I get it back. I have a lot of aluminum to polish and a few parts to make while he's working on the body. I'll probably put Alumitone pickups in it, they seem to work best for me.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 4:42 am    

TTT

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 3:03 pm    

OH WOW Darvin. That is Purty!! Had one of these years back in Red. Tough as a Boot. Stayed in tune forever. J.R.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 8:03 pm    

I bought one and traded it to Junior Knight a few days later. Those are unique. Junior told me when Bud Carter designed it his mission was to build the smallest guitar possible that had a 3 raise/3 lower changer. For those that have never seen one it is so compact they sawed part of the E9th 10 string and C6th first string tuner buttons off so they wouldn't collide because the necks are so close. I had my push pull sitting in the studio and measured the two and it was even smaller than a push pull body. I called it a tiny steel and everyone was laughing on facebook but compared to ZumSteel's, LeGrande,s and even Mullen steels it is tiny. You would just have to see one to know what it is. The one I had didn't sound like any MSA I ever had. It had a bright lively tone similar to my Emmons LeGrande sitting next to it. You can tell Bud carried those ideas over to Carter Guitars. Nice find Darvin! That's a pretty one.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 5:21 am     msa d-10 classic SS p.s.g

here are a couple of mine. i had wish i had them back Sad
p.w

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 5:48 am    

You don't need a tape line to see the difference in cabinet size in Paul's picture. I should have kept the one I had too. I buy and sale a lot of steels but sometimes you find some that are just plain cool.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 12:29 pm    

Reece once told me that one of the drivers behind the design of the "SS" models was to make a guitar as small (or smaller) than the Emmons p/p, which at the time was the essence of compactness.