The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Owning a second steel for "back up"
Nathan Burns

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 2:41 pm    

I admittedly have a history of Gear Acquisition syndrome. When I get it in my head that I want something new I'll look for any good excuse to pull the trigger on a new purchase and justify it using whatever means necessary to put my mind at ease Laughing .

I have a nice Mullen SD 10 G2 that I bought used a year ago but was in very good shape and still is. Granted I practice a lot. At least 2-3 hrs a day. I also gig every couple of weeks. More in the summer. But I've put light oil on it every five months or so on the ball joints and small amount on the changer in hopes of having it last me a long time.

Recently I've got it in my head that I should get a D10 for down the road if I'd like to tackle C6, but also as a "back up" guitar for if my first guitar was to have any mechanical issues that may go wrong and I would need to get fixed.

Searching the forum I've found threads about owning more than 1 guitar. There seems to be a lot of players on here that have 2 or more (some A LOT more), but when I read their reasoning for having the extra guitars it seems a lot of them have it for convenience sake. They like to leave one set up for practice and one in the case ready to go for gigs.

My question is how many people would recommend a second "back up," guitar? Is it a smart thing to own or is it more of a luxury than a necessity?

Thanks

Rayco 6 string curly maple reso

Petingill Southern Belle through Fender 68 Princeton Reverb reissue.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 2:54 pm    

I would say,It's good to have a couple of guitars,I always have my Mullen G2 setup for practicing,One of my Desert Rose guitars always in the case ready for a gig?another Desert Rose setup in another room in case I get inspired...I have a GFI Ultra with a friend in Nashville!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 2:57 pm    

I can't answer for everybody. But for me, if I'm gonna gig much, it's a necessity. When I was teaching at Penn State, I was doing good if I could get home from work, shove stuff in the car and get to the gig on time. But even now that I'm retired, I have way too much going on to be fooling around tearing down from home, setting up & tearing down at the gig, and then setting up the steel at home again. It's hard enough to get enough woodshed time in even if the thing is set up and ready to go.

And if you are thinking you might want to work on C6 - of course, get a D10.

It's not as if these things lose value if you buy them right. Get a nice G2, Zum, Legrand, push-pull, Justice, or whatever and have at it. There are generally some nice used ones on the forum that won't break the bank. Leave the D10 home for woodshed, take the SD-10 out to gigs, you're good to go.

My opinions, of course. YMMV.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 3:03 pm    

The periods I owned several guitars and was playing out, having one set up at the house and one for the road was a treat.
Rather than a backup guitar, having a spare part of what could go wrong, and is somewhat known as weak points for the guitar is what I prefer.
Sho~Bud, with its pot metal, and MCI/EMCI knee levers breaking are the first things I think of. Neck selector switches are nice to have too.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 4:01 pm    

One set up and one to go seems pretty normal. Drummers do the same.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 4:06 pm    

I have a few now, but I'd call it a "luxury" to have more than one! (Probably because I played very regularly for 29 years owning just one.) Pedal steels are simple mechanical devices, not unlike a typewriter, stapler, or firearm. IMHO, they are very reliable (if you pick a good one) and need only minimal care and attention to remain trouble-free for a long, long time.

Of course, if you have only an S10 E9th, and want to learn C6th, then getting a double is kind of a given, and it would be up to you whether or not you'd keep the S10.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 4:42 pm    

Back when I played 3 to 5 gigs a week, I was playing an MCI (very reliable). We were never satisfied with our song catalog and would learn a couple new songs a week. So, I had a second identical guitar at home to work out new material and for practices (which were not often). I felt it was a necessity at the time.

Every 6 months, or so, I'd switch them so they'd wear equally. Of course any copedant changes were done to both guitars.

Those were the days! I miss 'em a lot.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 4:54 pm    

I have two complete rigs. Guitar, amp, VP, cables and such set up in the music room for practice. The other rig stays packed and ready to take to the gig. It’s a life saver!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 5:17 pm     Re: Owning a second steel for

Nathan Burns wrote:
... it seems a lot of them have it for convenience sake. They like to leave one set up for practice and one in the case ready to go for gigs.

I can tell you from experience that if you have a lot of gigs or band rehearsals each week and you only have one guitar, it's all too easy to just leave it in the case when you get home.

Having a second guitar setup at home at all times is very conducive to practicing. It made all the difference for me. But I could have easily gotten by with just one if I wasn't so lazy about dragging it upstairs to the music room and setting it up -- and then reversing the process the next day to take it back out of the house.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 5:31 pm     Two PSG's

I have a S-10, 3+5 Mullen set up and a Sho Bud D10, 8+6 Super Pro set up also. I play out with the Bud. The Mullen I use more for practice and rehearsal.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 6:56 pm    

Certainly it is comforting to know you have a good backup rig if something goes wrong, especially if you have no confidence in your own ability to troubleshoot problems. Having a second rig does not seem like an extravagance. Also there's nothing wrong with convenience!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 2:37 am    

I don't think many here refer to a 2nd or 3rd instrument as a back-up. I know I don't. I currently only own 2 Steels, neither are a back-up. One is a Push Pull, one is not, they are very different instruments. They are both primary. One may sit in a case for gig duty over a few weeks period while the other is setup for practice. But that can change based on my mood, and it does. I'm also down to 3 Telecasters, none are back-up. Each is different but yet similar .They are all primary.

The only thing I consider a back-up is the small GK MB200 amp which is in my gig bag should an amp die on the gig. Other than that, the other dozen or so amps are all primary , just not at the same time.

A true back-up would imply that we take TWO full rigs to each gig , of which I doubt any of us do. What good is a back-up if it is 60 miles away at home ! Laughing

"hey guys, take a break, I'll be right back ! Whoa!

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 4:41 am    

I live on a hillside, and have to climb stairs to get from my house to the street. So I have 2 MSA Millenniums
set up identically. I keep one at home for woodshedding, and the other in a detached building at the bottom of the hill. This way I don't have to carry one up and down the stairs.

Bobby Bonds Sr.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 7:10 am     second steel

I agree with most here. It's too much work only having one guitar. I keep a complete rig set-up in my music room, a new GFI S10 Ultra keyless, and my Mullen S10 G2 is set up at a studio where we practice along with my old MCI D10. I get much more practice time that way.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 8:42 am    

I have one set up at a band space, one in the basement at home, and one at the office. And one loaded in the case ready to go.

Convenience is important, but having extra toys is just fun.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 10:56 am    

Everyone needs a spare setup at home for practice, or backup.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 11:39 am    

I take two of just about everything to a gig. I have two pedal steel guitars; but, take only one to the gig.

I have both guitars set up identically, but have a bit of a problem switching between guitars.

Click Here

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 12:45 pm    

Here's a side question.

If you have more than one steel, do you set them up identically (as I do,) or are they different from each other in some way?

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2018 1:12 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Here's a side question.

If you have more than one steel, do you set them up identically (as I do,) or are they different from each other in some way?

yes, they just feel different, pedal action mostly, one is keyless (I like best) wish both were. BF

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 3:18 am    

The one thing that I found out about having a second guitar is to make sure that they both have the same string spacing. I didn't for a time, and always had an adjustment period when switching from one to the other. I now have two guitars with the same string spacing!
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 5:31 am    

Well for me,

The backup to the Legrande II is a Push Pull

but

The backup to the Push Pull is the Legrande II

which makes neither a backup to the other. They both play and feel different but yet somehow the same music comes out of both, or is that either one or the other Question

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 7:09 am    

Pete Nicholls wrote:
The one thing that I found out about having a second guitar is to make sure that they both have the same string spacing. I didn't for a time, and always had an adjustment period when switching from one to the other. I now have two guitars with the same string spacing!

This is a good example of how different we are from each other.

Back in the 80s, I'd bring both my MSA and a Fender 3 neck stringmaster to gigs whenever possible, and switch back and forth between them. The different string spacing was never a problem. I never even thought about it.

Like I once wrote, one size does not fit all.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 7:43 am    

I have three. Up to the end of 2017 I actually needed all three for convenience - my Summer gig required three guitars for three different locations.

I've handed in my notice now and won't be returning to that contract so I may well sell one (probably the JCH SD-10). I'm almost ashamed to say it, but any gig I now take on will be done on the Zum Encore. My D-10 is set up here at home.

In my case there's the aspect of maintenance. I'm unqualified to even contemplate working on the underside so, should something fail on me, there's another guitar to see me through.

I have a show to do in Key West soon and will, for safety's sake, take two steels. After that, my next contracts are on electric guitar so it's a moot point.

In short, I once needed three. I now feel that two guitars is a safe minimum. (My three steels are set up almost identically - any variation is accidental and because I'm unable to alter them for myself. Smile )

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 8:54 am    

I like having more than one steel. I have 4 right now, and enjoy spending time with each one of them. I'll set up each one for a week or two at home, then go to the next. If I have a gig, I'll use whichever has the newest strings on it!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2018 10:36 am    

Bill Moore wrote:
If I have a gig, I'll use whichever has the newest strings on it!

I'm a bit more simplistic, I take the one that happens to already be in the case. Shocked