The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone have any old Oahu sheet music?
Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 9:05 am    

My mom played when she was younger and has recently decided to pick her old Oahu tonemaster back up. She lost alot of music over the years and I wondered if anyone here would be willing to put some in PDF format that I could print off for her.

Funny enough after a house fire when she was young they replaced her Oahu Diana which she loved to play with an Epiphone made Alkire E-Harp. She got fairly proficient at playing it and did some recitals on pretty difficult tunes. She still has an E-Harp and I asked why she didn't want to play it and she said something like "you couldn't pay me to play that thing..." She was no more a fan of Mr. Alkire's tuning that some of you guys seem to be haha.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 9:14 am    

Just sent you a PM Dustin.

Roger Conant

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 9:42 am    

Hi-I've got a box of duplicates of Oahu sheet music (some good, some a little ragged) that I'd be glad to ship to your mother, free of charge, provided I had her address. I've been collecting more lately and always seem to get duplicates. Been wondering where I could send them, where they might be appreciated. E-mail me her address, and I'll send them along. lrc@oxfordnetworks.net I'm 84 and don't play that well anymore, so tell her to go for it! I'm proud of her. Sincerely, Roger R Conant,118 Joseph Drive, Edgewater, FL 32141-5108

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 9:59 am    

She's looking for material in low bass A tuning? I believe that's what the old Oahu stuff was for. I have two Oahu instruction books here somewhere - mostly song arrangements, as I recall. I'll scan some of it if you like, but no sense duplicating Roger's offer. Let me know if nothing else comes through. Happy to do it. Great that your mom is getting back into it.

You should set up that Eharp for her with a different tuning, if she doesn't like the Alkire. They're quite nice instruments, especially the Epiphones. I like mine so much I'm shopping for a 2nd one to use with a different 10 string tuning.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 10:25 am    

Roger Conant wrote:
Hi-I've got a box of duplicates of Oahu sheet music (some good, some a little ragged) that I'd be glad to ship to your mother, free of charge, provided I had her address. I've been collecting more lately and always seem to get duplicates. Been wondering where I could send them, where they might be appreciated. E-mail me her address, and I'll send them along. lrc@oxfordnetworks.net I'm 84 and don't play that well anymore, so tell her to go for it! I'm proud of her. Sincerely, Roger R Conant,118 Joseph Drive, Edgewater, FL 32141-5108

Wow this is greatly appreciated. She is a very young 77 and recently had a hand surgery that has her feeling more like she could actually play again. I gave her a shubb bar and she was quite reluctant to accept it because she'd been taught that you played a round bar but she took it and it has made things easier. I'll send you a PM with her address.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 10:29 am    

James Hartman wrote:
She's looking for material in low bass A tuning? I believe that's what the old Oahu stuff was for. I have two Oahu instruction books here somewhere - mostly song arrangements, as I recall. I'll scan some of it if you like, but no sense duplicating Roger's offer. Let me know if nothing else comes through. Happy to do it. Great that your mom is getting back into it.

You should set up that Eharp for her with a different tuning, if she doesn't like the Alkire. They're quite nice instruments, especially the Epiphones. I like mine so much I'm shopping for a 2nd one to use with a different 10 string tuning.

It is an Epi and I've thought long and hard about setting it up with Billy Robinson's C6 tuning but she really wants to sell it to try and fund an Oahu Diana like she had when she was young.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2018 11:14 am    

Also I spoke to my mom over my lunch hour and her last recital she played Liebestraum so apparently she got quite good at the E-harp tuning.

Roger Conant

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2018 5:19 pm     old Oahu sheet music

Hi-Never got your mother's address. If you're having trouble with-mail, try using Conant173@brighthouse.com. Just added 10 more tunes to my 2nds! Thanks.Roger