The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Making the jump between acoustic dobro and electric lapsteel
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 4:44 pm    

This has been eHarp week. One of my eharps arrived monday and the other weds.

I put the Akire tuning on one and C6th on the other. But my dobros must have felt lonely because when I went to play them today for the first time in a week, I could hardly play. I had to re-adjust my attack and way of playing back to dobro mode and holding the bullet bar all week made holding the dobro bar feel strange.

I played for a while before I felt like my old self again, but I was shocked how the lap steel had thrown off my dobro playing. Just got to make sure I practice both each day and get used to the different attacks. and bars and ways of approaching.

The eharps turned out to be not only a bargain, but, especially the consol, the best sounding lap steels I've ever played.

Anyone else have trouble readjusting when moving back and forth from electric and acoustic?

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 2:44 am    

I don't because I approach them both in exactly the same way. I tune them the same and use a bullet bar on both. I effectively treat them both as lap steels and don't do pull-offs or hammer-ons on the Dobro.

If I was playing bluegrass style dobro (I wish!) I'd probably have the same problem as you.

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 4:21 am    

I recall reading an interview with Jerry Douglas where he said playing lap steel messed up his Dobro playing for a while because the right hand attack was so different. Cindy Cashdollar likens it to a manual vs an electric typewriter.

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2018 5:15 am    

Jerry Douglas did mention that difference is same as those of a hand saw and a chain saw.