The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lowest pedal bar on the planet!
Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 2:50 pm    

Is this the lowest pedal bar you've ever seen?
2 3/4"-2 7/8"

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 3:12 pm     Sho Bud?

Looks like a Bud?

Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 3:25 pm     Re: Sho Bud?

Kevin Fix wrote:
Looks like a Bud?

Yes, it's a 80s LDG.
Is that normal.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 4:00 pm    

My 1979 Pro 1 Pedal bar is 2" , 2 7/8" to the floor.. Shocked

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 3:25 pm     Pedal Bar

It would belong there because of the lengths of your pedal rods. If you are playing on carpet you may want to put you some thin blocks under the front legs to keep the pedals from bottoming out in the carpet.

Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 4:28 pm     Re: Pedal Bar

Kevin Fix wrote:
It would belong there because of the lengths of your pedal rods. If you are playing on carpet you may want to put you some thin blocks under the front legs to keep the pedals from bottoming out in the carpet.

I don't mind it setting low, but it makes all volume pedal brackets too tall...

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 4:51 pm    

My Hilton low rider and Goodrich low rider pedals are both 2 1/2" off the floor with volume full on..Brackets still are 3/4" higher than bar top fwiw. Shocked Larry

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:55 pm    

It's determined by the height adjustment. Lengthen the legs to raise the guitar, and you'll be able to raise the pedal bar.

Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 8:01 pm    

Rich Peterson wrote:
It's determined by the height adjustment. Lengthen the legs to raise the guitar, and you'll be able to raise the pedal bar.

I always thought the pedal bar was supposed to be tight against the leg rubber foot and the knurled leg knob to keep it from moving when you press the pedals...
Am I wrong?🤔

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 9:17 pm    

That was always my assumption. I just thought it makes sense. Of course, for the first 25 or so years my steel was a Sho-Bud. And my legs are short, so standard steel height is fine for me--no need to extend the legs.

Now my main axe is a PRP Mullen, and the legs don't allow for that--the inside segment of the leg is longer, so it won't slide in enough to bring the rubber foot against the pedal rack with the rack against the adjustment collar. So I have to tighten the clamps as hard as I possibly can and count on friction, otherwise the rack clacks up and down when I press the pedals. Oh Well

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 9:59 pm     Lowest pedal bar on the planit

No you want the pedal bar tight against the Lock Collar on the leg. When the pedal is pushed down the leverage applied is wanting to raise the pedal bar toward the body of the steel.

If the pedal bar just have clamps that hold the bar to the legs.

You could loosen the collar and pull the small center tube out of the front legs to raise the pedals up off the floor. This will not change the pedal rod length. just raise the bar off the floor. Good Luck in this project.

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:19 am    

Yes, naturally the rack is installed against the lock collar. This happens as a matter of course when you assemble the guitar upside down in the case.

But if the rubber foot is against the rack also, it prevents the rack from moving vertically. Since I had always had the rubber foot against the rack on my Sho-Bud, when I first got the Mullen I was startled to find the rack shifting up and down. Naturally I had always had the clamps on the Sho-Bud finger-tight, but without the support of the rubber feet on the Mullen they have to be very tight to prevent the rack from moving.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:30 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Yes, naturally the rack is installed against the lock collar. This happens as a matter of course when you assemble the guitar upside down in the case.

But if the rubber foot is against the rack also, it prevents the rack from moving. Since I had always had the rubber foot against the rack on my Sho-Bud, when I first got the Mullen I had no idea what was happening when the rack shifted up and down. Naturally I had always had the clamps on the Sho-Bud finger-tight, but without the support of the rubber feet on the Mullen they have to be very tight to prevent the rack from moving.

Brint - You can go to your local hardware store and buy some rubber garden hose washers to fix that issue. They fit the skinny part of the leg perfectly. Pull the foot off the leg, slide on the appropriate number of washers and replace the foot. Slide the washers down to the foot. Now the pedal rack can rest on the rubber washers. You can use a black Sharpie to make the outer edges of the washers black.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2018 7:40 am    

Good idea. Smile