The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobby Black & Carco Clave at SWSGA-wonderful !!!
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 1:15 pm    

The highlight of the SWSGA show for me was the session of
Bobby Black (steel) and Carco Clave (guitar) in the non-pedal room yesterday.
They played their set and then at the end continued to play for another 30 minutes or so and just sat and called tunes and "jammed", so to speak. It was just marvelous, too marvelous for words, to quote a song. Bobby amazes me with his total command of the instrument and his touch and tone.
Carco Clave is amazing on guitar as well, and the two of them together are just a perfect match, IMHO. You could tell they were having a wonderful time and could have continued for a much longer time, as I am sure those in attendance would agree with ! They played standards and Hawaiian tunes. I felt very fortunate to have been there !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Aaron Jennings

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 10:18 pm    

I was there too Larry. I'll probably remember that set for the rest of my life. Bobby Black obviously has a deep connection to this instrument and the music that comes through clear as day in his playing.

One of my favorite moments was when the band was picking a tune, Bobby chose a suggestion because "Oh, I've never played that one before...let's give it a try!"

Fortunate is the right word. That man is a treasure to our community and "Steel Guitar Freaks" (his words) everywhere.

Tom Wolverton

Carpinteria, CA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 9:35 am    

Bobby was truly amazing at that session. The technique of Tom Morrell combined with the feeling and tone of Jerry Byrd.

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:04 pm    

I couldn't agree more. I was sitting right at the front, and since I was co-hosting the session with Chuck Lettes Bobby looked to me for "permission" to keep playing. I said something to the effect that as long as they wanted to keep playing we weren't going anywhere. It was really special.

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 7:57 pm    

I would have loved to have been there. I used to play gigs on Lower Broadway with Carco and we'd go over to Gruhn Guitars on break and check out the archtops and play some standards. He's a great player on quite a few instruments. I recall him telling me that he knew Bobby Black from back when he lived in California, it would have been great to have seen this musical reunion.

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 7:38 pm     Bobby is a great fellow

Tom Wolverton wrote:
Bobby was truly amazing at that session. The technique of Tom Morrell combined with the feeling and tone of Jerry Byrd.

I agree with Tom and Arron said "I'll probably remember that set for the rest of my life"

I still remember the first time I saw him in about 1978 play with his brother, Larry (RIP) for the San Francisco steel club at a music shop in the south bay.
Was a real eye opener for me to hear such perfection by both of them and such a wonderful down to earth person. As Arron said I also will never forget that for the rest of my life.
Sure hope to get to hear him again.
Looking forward to the Dallas show in March. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.