The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Barn find Vibro Champ
Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 11:52 am    

Hi Guys - Could use some advice / info?

Just discovered this BF Vibro Champ in John Campbell's (driving force behind the WEBB 6-14-E) basement.

Serial number indicates 1965. "OF" on tube chart indicates built in June of 65. No "Fender" label on the grill cloth and knob screws at "10" all imply pre CBS, but the face plate says Fender "Musical" Instruments.Is this a pre CBS build with a post CBS face plate?

Best way to bring it back to life - Plug it in using a current limited power supply or disassemble it for a visual inspection?

Thanks
Jim

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 12:52 pm    

That is insane! Virtually NOS!

The conventional wisdom is that the electrolytic caps in it are way past their life expectancy, even if they have never passed electrons in their life. I'm not experienced and don't know if a slow, regulated start up is protection enough. I am pretty sure that a cautious tech would tell you to just get new caps regardless of how they look.
What a find.

Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 1:00 pm    

Jim , congrats on your find...that’s cool!
Before you plug it in a turn it on, check the fuse and make sure it is the correct one. If it’s blown, I’d recommend taking it to a reputable service tech and let them find out why it’s fried and what it’s gonna take to get it going. This may be solid advice before turning it on anyways...especially if you never seen it on before getting it! What a jewel!

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 1:09 pm    

If you're in NorCal, take it to Skip Simmons, in the foothills outside Marysville.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 4:54 pm     Barn Find Vibro Champ

Jim I agree that a good tech would be the way to go a few dollars up front is worth it not to take a chance on damaging this little prize.
As far as the date CBS took over control of Fender Jan. 1 1965 they didn't change anything until later I have a 1965 Black Face Pro Reverb with a serl. # very close to yours and went through all the research when I got it. 1965-66-67 were Blackface Leo Fender design 1968 Was the first Silver Face and had major changes from the previous amps. Your 65 was built by CBS but is widely considered pre CBS model. The AA 764 is the chassis design (AA) and the date of design approval July 1964 (764). Making this a pre. CBS design/

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 5:23 am    

Great little amp ! Looks like someone replaced the speaker at some point...Oxford from what appears to be '71...

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 5:54 am     Barn Find Vibro Champ

After looking at my Pro and a couple of amps on ebay the tube charts all have been stamped not hand written you might want to check the numbers on the transformers and look up the dates on them. The tube chart may be a replacement the numbers on the transformers will tell the tale.

Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 11:59 am    

Thanks for all the great info.

The part of me that's impatient wants to plug it in and see what happens. The part of me that is reasonable and understands risk agrees the best next step is a good tech. The reasonable side wins and this will be going to a good tech. In addition to preserving the tubes and irreplaceable transformers from leaking capacitors, I should be able to get clarification on originality (the tube chart and speaker).

I'll keep you posted.

Jim

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 3:39 pm    

As Jon said - DON'T plug it in. Or at least don't turn it on. I service far too many newly-acquired vintage amps damaged by impatience.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Jim Hussey

Reno, Nevada - USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 6:39 pm    

Trust me, I WILL NOT put power to this one until someone who really knows what they're doing has checked it out. Unless I can find a good tech in the San Francisco area, I will be driving to Marysville to see Skip Simmons.

Lee Warren

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2018 10:03 pm    

FWIW, I have a c.1964 blackface Vibro Champ with no logo on the grille cloth. I believe that was how it shipped from the factory.
It is a GREAT amp, and my favourite for recording 6 string guitar.

Is Tim Marcus of Milkman Amps in the San Francisco area?
If so, he would be a great tech to take your amp to, if he's available.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 7:32 am    

oh man!

J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2018 9:51 am    

Hi Jim
I also own a '65 Vibro Champ , no logo either.
Also had a replacement speaker when I got it. I tried a number of different 8" speakers , including an old Oxford , before settling on an old Jensen C8R which had a sweeter , more full range sound , which is what I was looking for. Sounds more like a classic Fender amp now , not so midrangey .
Enjoy your new amp.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2018 8:35 pm     questions for you, Jim

Hi Jim Hussey,
I sent you both an email and Forum . If you have time, please respond. Thanks, Steve Takacs

Gary Leggett

Space Coast, FL
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 11:23 am    

cool thread and nice amp...I have a black face vibro champ and like it. Had it since 73, bought mine from the guy that bought off the sales floor in about 67 or 68.

This one looks like the vibro chasis was put in a non vibro cab...should be 2 12ax7 s in that tube chart.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 3:10 pm    

Gary Leggett wrote:
cool thread and nice amp...
This one looks like the vibro chasis was put in a non vibro cab...should be 2 12ax7 s in that tube chart.

Spot on, Gary! I thought exactly the same thing when I saw no vibrato tube - something's been swapped somewhere along the way. A proper (tube layout) label, if you could find one, would increase the collector value significantly, as would a proper speaker.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 May 2018 8:48 pm    

What Jon said. Don't even turn it on - too much of a chance of a blown cap section, especially since it's been stored for years.

The electrolytic sections in the power filter can are hard as a rock and could take out your power transformer with no warning. A visual inspection means nothing - you can't see the internal condition.

It should be immediately serviced. there is NO safe way to test it, even with a current limiter. About .half my vintage amp "repairs" are newly-purchaxed used amps very much like this one where the new owner just could not resist trying it out.

An expensive repair and loss of vintage value are the results. I honestly hate doing those jobs. I wish buyers would pay attention.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional