The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Headphone practice amp
Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 12:24 am    

I needed a practice device I could plug headphones into that also had an input for my ipad to play along with. I ordered a Line 6 Pocket Pod from Amazon and after trying it for a few minutes I realized it wasn’t gonna work. The amp models sounded terrible and everthing thing was overdriven and distorted no matter what I did with input levels and gain adjustment on the amp models. So after checking more reviews on it on Amazon someone mentioned the Digitech RP360 modeler pedal sounded way better so I ordered one to try. Setting it up was a breeze, way easier than the Line 6. I used the clean tube amp model with a classic 2x12 cabinet and this thing sounds absolutely INCREADIBLE. I was floored. The steel tone is rich and fat and CLEAN and the reverbs are Lexicon inspired. The delays are awesome too. I was able to quickly recreate that Paul Franklin tone you hear on Alan Jackson albums and was so blown away, I am going to use this on stage direct into the mixer with my in ears. This sounds as good as my expensive tube preamp which is made for steel guitar that I have been using for the last ten years. Though I’d just pass this along. Thanks

Last edited by Michael Hartz on 14 Jan 2018 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 4:43 pm     Re: Headphone practice amp

Michael Hartz wrote:
I am going to use this on stage direct into the mixer with my in ears.
Digitech RP360
Please,let us know how good it is on stage compared to the expensive tube preamp which is made for pedal steel guitar that you have been using for the last ten years.(I know the one you’re talking about)
Thanks !

Last edited by John Sluszny on 17 Jan 2018 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Peter

Mendon,Mich USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2018 12:32 pm    

I have one of these and it makes a great headphone amp. I plug my guitar in one input, pc in another an old cassette player in another. You can mix the sound and the headphone out sounds great. You can even eq each section.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-xenyx-802-mixer