The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  KL Flag for Sho~Bud
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 8:33 am    

Where can I find a knee lever flag for an old Sho~Bud curved lever? My E-lower is just too far forward for me to get at it comfortably. There's no good place to move it to, or I'd consider doing that. I'd rather not drill holes in the lever, and it needs to be 2-3 inches of flag length, is there an option?

Thanks!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 6:43 pm     Sho Bud

I made my own. I cut them out of some thin aluminum, like stop sign material. Cut them out with a sabre saw, cleaned up the edges and polished them to a mirror finish. Then drilled hole and bolted them to the knee lever. I put them on the new style knees. I never had a issue with the tear drop knees. I have never seen them on the tear drop knees. If you can you may be able to move the knee assmb.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2018 8:03 pm    

I had a friend cut some out of aircraft aluminum.Didn't want to drill the KL so I did it as shown in the pic.A kludge,but it works.

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 4:15 am    

there's a few options for the curved knees. one is to replace the lever with a straight one and then have at her with a flag.
another possibility is reversing the lever and putting the flag on the flat side...this may or may not cause some issues with mounting.
you may be able to use a flag with a 90 degree angle and mount it to the flat side yet still have the flag in the right position.
in the end, i put a piece of abs piping on the end of a curved lever, and it made the lever longer (which i needed) and because of the curve, brought the lever closer to my knee at the same time.

Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 8:54 am    

My two cents worth of knowledge is to simply move it. You can move it closer to you, farther away from you, closer to your knee, and farther from your knee. This is your steel, make it fit "YOU".

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 11:55 am    

Ronnie Boettcher wrote:
My two cents worth of knowledge is to simply move it. You can move it closer to you, farther away from you, closer to your knee, and farther from your knee. This is your steel, make it fit "YOU".

There's no place to put it. It's a rack and barrel 'Bud and the rods for the C6 pulls are in the space I'd need.

Thanks for the pictures and comments, all.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2018 12:13 pm    

You could go to a custom motorcycle shop. Those guys are masters at bending metal.

They could likely fabricate and polish a flag that follows the inner contours of teardrop knee lever......but it won't be cheap.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2018 8:52 am    

Rick if you find a solution please let us know. I too have a Bud with the two inside knees clear under the guitar.