The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Swart AST with 6L6 tubes (Wrong section, NFS)
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 1:10 pm    

I just picked up one of these amps that has 6V6 tubes. You can use 6L6 or EL34 tubes with it without re-biasing. Does anyone use one of these and have you tried the 6L6 tubes with it?
regards,
Lefty

Last edited by Lefty on 11 Jan 2018 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 2:09 pm    

Darn, I thought you were selling one. Our guitar player uses one and swaps the tubes depending on the size of the venue. It sounds great with either. Those amps are a lot of bang for the buck and very loud for the size. You also almost never see used ones for sale.

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 2:15 pm    

Hey Lefty, I think you'd be better off posting this in the Electronics section. This one's for selling things.

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 8:38 am    

Mike,
I realized that I was in the wrong section right after I posted it. I just did not know how to move the post.
Bill,
A guy whose wife is expecting posted it on Craigslist down here for a good price. I had been wanting one as the weight is manageable. I will try the 6L6's as they are my favorite.
regards,
Lefty

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 2:49 am    

I have a Swart AST and its a great amp. I put some 6L6's in it and I get a little more headroom with them. I like the tone better in general with 6L6's as opposed to 6V6's, but I bought it used and I've never tried a brand new set of 6V6's with it. The first 6L6's I put in it were Tung-Sol 6L6GC STR that I took out of a '65 Fender Super Reverb that I have. I liked them a lot, but when I decided to buy a set of 6L6's that would be dedicated to the Swart, I bought a matched set of TAD 6L6WGC STR's. I didn't like them as much as the Tung-Sol's so I put the TAD's in the Super and the Tung Sol's in the Swart and they both sound great. I didn't know I could put EL34's in it, I might have to give that a try. Sometime I'm going to get a brand new set of 6V6's for it and new preamp tubes too. I use it mainly with 6 strings guitars, Tele's,Strat,SG, and I love it for small to medium clubs and seems to do well outside too, although I've never used it on a really big stage yet. I've plugged a P/P Emmons into it at home and it sounds great, but I'm not sure what it would sound like on a gig. You're gonna love it, as I said before, they are great amps.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 11:04 am    

Here's our guitar player with the 6V6 configuration of his Swart amp. Plenty loud for a small venue. The camera guy must have had his finger over the mic for the first four bars of the song. Ignore the old guy on harmonica and steel. Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkNLf8y76cU

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2018 10:41 am    

Great music Bill, the whole band sounds fantastic.
Makes me want to shine up my Alligators and go Juke-in.
Lefty