The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best way to cleanly block notes?
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 6:21 pm    

Been trying to play this thing for loong time still have trouble blocking my notes cleanly. Might be old age now. Anybody got any suggestions to help? Appreciate any help.

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 6:48 pm    

Joe Wrights 32 moves video made a huge difference for me. The Sierra site has a video on it for free and he sells a video in his site.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 9:36 pm     blocking notes

Thanks Doug

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 12:54 am    

Terry, I've been at this a few years now and I've learnt two things:-

1. pick-blocking and palm-blocking are both necessary skills so you need to work on both. I would look at Jeff Newman for the palm and (yes) Joe Wright for the fingers. Although the two men's hand positions are very different, you can still combine the principles.

2. rather than thinking of blocking as a separate action at the end of a note or chord, think of it as the preparation for the next - a rest position.

This all takes time and I'm not totally reliable yet. I'll be 70 this year but I still think I'm improving slowly. Keep up the good work! Smile

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 11:25 am     Blocking

Thanks Ian.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 11:38 am    

Hi Terry,

Joe Wright has great material on learning pick-blocking.

If you're trying to learn palm-blocking, I can send you (at no charge) a written step-by-step explanation and a series of exercises I wrote years ago for a couple of students.

If you're interested, send me an email via the SGF so I have your email address.

- Dave

Nobel Das

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 7:32 pm     Blocking

Hi Terry!

I am a newbie and been playing PSG for about a year and a half. I had the same issues you are having. I could not block worth a ----. Came across Joe Wright's technique bundle and worked on his 32 moves, and other techniques he teaches, and nothing else for about 2 hours a day for about 3-4 months. Very very slowly first, as Joe emphasizes, and then gradually increasing the speed. Please find the most comfortable/relaxed position of your hand. I found that for me Joe's hand position works best with a little change for both pick and palm blocking.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 12:32 am    

Hand shape is personal - you can only copy a successful player if your hand is exactly the same shape and size as theirs.
You have to absorb the principles and then adapt them to what works for you.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2021 4:28 am    

You might want to look at the Paul Franklin course for E9. He not only teaches blocking but the exercises he provides, Permutations, are uses in actual music (songs) and are VERY helpful for improvising. He does a pretty slow demonstration of blocking that's very easy to follow.

Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 10:59 am     Blocking

Thanks guys, I ran across Zane Kings free courses on speed picking. He explains his palm and pick blocking, with very good exercises. Is there anyone any faster picking that Zane? If I can just get up to a 1/4 of his speed I'll be a happy camper Yes sir re.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 4:59 pm    

I'm not so bothered about speed. What I strive for is cleanliness and accuracy. As with other instruments, speed will follow at its own - er - speed.