The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI set up
Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 9:30 am    

Can anyone help me with setting up my GFI Ultra. Short story long I had to replace the A and B cross shafts. In my efforts to set up I have a lot of play in the pedals. I can tune them and everything but the pedal action is limited and pulls the cross shaft halfway when the pedal is engaged. Any help is appreciated. Thank you, Greg

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 9:51 am    

Did you right down what changer and bellcrank holes were being used before you disembled?

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 10:25 am    

Yeah, you need to get the rods in the right holes. In the right holes in the bell crank as well as the changer.

You can do this by looking at photos on the internet. Or possible call GFI for a rodding chart and/or help.

Good luck!

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 10:45 am    

I did put them in the same spots. However that may not be totally correct I should add the the pedals were pretty sloppy to start with.

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 10:50 am    

[img]
[/img]

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 4:14 pm    

These are the cross shafts I changed out for new ones from gfi. Getting to pull rods adjusted is turning out to be quit a balancing act between the pull rod, tuning nut, and the pedal action. I did look at gfi website and review several online resources. Thank you for the advise and all the help it is appreciated. Still looking to get this guitar playing like better. I will add the guitar is mint in all other aspects. All other pedals are working and playing great. Greg

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 5:09 pm    

Can you post a photo of the A and B shafts and cranks, as well as the changer end of the guitar, showing the nylon tuner nuts? Maybe we can see what's up.

I know on the B pedal, the two strings require drastically different amounts of pull. With the 6th string taking very little.

Mike

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 8:15 am    

Thanks Mike here a more photos. It is tuned and playable but doesn't have the pedal feeling I'm looking for to much play in the pedals.

Mike Vallandigham

Martinez, CA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 10:17 am    

Here is the rodding chart for E9th.

http://www.gfimusicalproducts.com/documentation.html#E9rod

I took a look, and it seems you have them correct. Sorry I assumed you screwed it up. Smile

The crank holes are numbered 1-6 starting at the cabinet, and the changer holes are numbered 1-5 starting at the cabinet also.

I don't know why the travel is sloppy. Do the pulls start at the same time?
Do the pulls start shortly after the pedal is actuated? No?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 6:34 am    

If there is too much play in the pedals AND both strings on a pedal start pulling at the same time, you can adjust the travel stop of the pedals to give less travel. You'll have to retune the nylon nuts, but it will have less slack. In order to allow for vagaries of nature mainly temperature variations), you need a little bit of slack but more than is needed isn't helpful.

Greg Koenig

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 11:56 am    

Mission accomplished!

Talked with Bob for a few minutes last week and he helped walk me through the process. There is a big design change in the crossrod and stop screws from my older model 01 to the current design. What ultimately lead to success was screwing the nylon nut further on just leaving a few threads then tighten the brass ferrules to the bell cranks and then adjust the stop screw. Thanks to all for input big thanks to Bob at GFI.