The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SKB cases and intererior height
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 8:00 am    

Trying to decide which way to go on an SKB case. The 36" case that Jim Heep is selling is only 6" deep. and I'm pretty sure the vertical lever on my Super Pro adds more than an inch to the 5" depth of the body+tuners. Anybody using a super pro in an SKB? The trap case that most people use looks plenty deep enough, but I like the idea of a case that comes with fitted foam. Yes: I want to have my case and eat it too.....

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 7:45 pm    

Dan, I use a 36" SKB for my ProIII. I lined the empty case with high density foam myself, and had the same concern as you when I bought the case. I ended up notching the foam down to almost 1/8" in the lid around my vertical lever. It closed fine, with barely a hair to spare. Best case I ever had, pedal bar, legs and rods live in a nylon padded shoulder strap rifle case. Made my beast of a guitar significantly more manageable to haul around. I'm 100% converted to the SKB case system from this point forward, and my 30 plus pound ATA case is collecting dust.Go for it.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 4:42 am    

Thanks, Igor. Does your Pro III have the later, Super Pro linkage underneath (hex cross shafts, 5 hole bellcranks, etc.)

Igor Fiksman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2018 6:26 pm    

Nope. Just a standard Pro III with round cross shafts, 2 hole bell cranks and tear drop knees. I am not sure if it takes up more or less space than Super Pro, but my impression was that Super Pros were slightly smaller than Pro Era Buds.