The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eldon Shamblin closeup videos
Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 7:35 am    

I've been putting up some videos on my YouTube channel with closeups of Eldon Shamblin playing with Texas Playboys, probably taken at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa. One of the few videos I've seen where you can really see his hands and hear him distinctly. Well, hear distinctly and see his hands well enough to be helpful. Here's Ida Red to start you off, and I'll have the others in a playlist on my channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r7RKplWu2M

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:47 am    

Amazing what he does with a one or two chord song. Very inspiring!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 1:22 pm    

This is great, Leon. His playing is fluid and free, while at the same time tight and in-the-pocket with the rhythm section. And the tone is clean and present, while at the same time warm and sweet. And total economy of motion.

The other guy who comes to mind is Freddie Green with Count Basie. A bit different bag, but I got to see him a few times with Basie in the 15 year period before Basie died. A couple of times were outdoor concerts, and I just worked my up to the side of stage-right and watched and listened to Freddie the whole time. Never got to see Eldon up close, my loss for sure.

Was this recorded by putting a video camera up by Eldon to isolate him, or was some processing done? The clarity is great.

And I love the chicken-head knobs on his Strat. I remember Barney Kessel also using chicken-heads on his main ES-350 with the Charlie Christian, and him talking about how much more practical they are in the heat of battle. I have 'em on my '49 ES-5.

I also looked at the other Eldon videos you're putting up. All just great and instructive. Thanks.

Leon Grizzard

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 1:56 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
This is great, Leon. His playing is fluid and free, while at the same time tight and in-the-pocket with the rhythm section. And the tone is clean and present, while at the same time warm and sweet. And total economy of motion.

The other guy who comes to mind is Freddie Green with Count Basie. A bit different bag, but I got to see him a few times with Basie in the 15 year period before Basie died. A couple of times were outdoor concerts, and I just worked my up to the side of stage-right and watched and listened to Freddie the whole time. Never got to see Eldon up close, my loss for sure.

Was this recorded by putting a video camera up by Eldon to isolate him, or was some processing done? The clarity is great.

And I love the chicken-head knobs on his Strat. I remember Barney Kessel also using chicken-heads on his main ES-350 with the Charlie Christian, and him talking about how much more practical they are in the heat of battle. I have 'em on my '49 ES-5.

I also looked at the other Eldon videos you're putting up. All just great and instructive. Thanks.

Thank you for the kind words.

I don't think any processing was done but I really don't know. I got the video from a gentleman from Indiana or Illinois (if I remember correctly), who came down regularly in the summer to take lessons from Ken Frazier. He contacted me and came down to Austin for a lesson, and gave me a copy. He said it was taken by someone on the crew.

I've had it for several years. I'm getting older, and figured I better go ahead and cut it up in segments and post lest it be lost to our musical community.

Dustin Rhodes

Owasso OK
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 1:25 pm    

Really appreciate these. Big fan of Eldon's. Also a big fan of your lesson videos. Very helpful to a younger guy like me who didn't learn to play rhythm this way.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2018 5:03 pm    

This is a great study for all six string players. Thanks so much for sharing these!

Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2018 9:59 am    

Thanks for this post. I'm looking forward to more of these.