The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pasty Cline Show
Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 5:29 am    

I am going to be doing a Pasty Cline show in the near future. I know I have seen over the years that some of you have done this show. Does someone have this charted out that they would like to share so i can save some time Thanks in advance.

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 7:09 am    

Mark I've done it close to 200 times but its been ten years. I'll see if I can dig up the charts.. It's a fun show, pretty easy for the most part..

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 7:50 am     Patsy

If its an authorized (license paid)and legit production, there will be charts.

Best JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:36 am    

Yep, an authorized show should provide charts. But if you’re going under the table, this should get you started:
https://m.e-chords.com/patsy-cline

You’ll probably end up doing your own charts anyway, especially if the singer is prone to changing keys, and arrangements evolve into something other than one of the many different recorded versions of her tunes. If you have a good ear, most of the songs would take about 5 minutes to chart. The string section intro to Faded Love takes a bit longer. The one on Sweet Dreams takes hours, but it wouldn’t work on steel anyway.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:52 am    

I did a 16 week run of the "Always" Patsy Cline show.
They had a book (music/charts), but I pretty much already knew every song.
It paid $50 bucks a night, and I split the nights with another Steel player.
It was great fun! Enjoy!

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 10:43 am    

dbl post Shocked

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 8 Jan 2018 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 10:44 am    

Beware of those chords "bar" musicians have added or omitted over the years. In my experience, there are many... Shocked Laughing

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 10:45 am    

I see from my records that between 1998 and 2016 I have done thirty productions of 'Always, Patsy Cline' with a total of 633 performances.

But I've never been asked to do the 'other' show - 'Just Another Walk With....'. One day, I hope.

I'm about to do another short run of 'Always...' in Key West next month.

The official charts are nice and clear (scored by August Ericksmoen). Some introductions are specifically notated but are very close to what's on the original recording. A large proportion of the music consists of chord-charts with indications of what instrument should 'fill' and where.

There are a couple of medleys, though, which you'll need to follow in which two songs are strung together.

Let us know how it goes - I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 11:02 am    

The chord charts with instrument ID is what I had to go by since I don't read, on Honky Tonk Angels play.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 11:03 am    

I should also mention that I played Pedal Steel Guitar on the gig, I guess Smile
I was a lil burnt out on Walkin After Midnight before I even got the gig, but, I still like it.
My favortie song was probably "Back In Baby's Arms", as well as several others like "I Fall To Pieces" (Steel intro), Sweet Dreams, Crazy, She's Got You, Blue Moon of Kentucky, to mention a few faves Smile
I even had a few speaking lines in the scene where Patsy first sits in with a local bar band.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 2:29 pm    

Okay, full disclosure here too...I played guitar and sang backup vox in a PC tribute act (not the “Always” play) for 15 years. Probably did over a thousand shows. The money was good and the band was the best I ever played with.

Risking thread-hijacking here, but—
Pete, Roger, or anyone else who’s done the show, just curious...how did you guys do the Sweet Dreams intro?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 3:26 pm    

In the 'Always...' chart the fiddle has a four-measure descending cadence (meant to replicate the string section on the recording but sounds weird with just one violin!), into a fermata upon which 'Patsy' has the vocal pick-up. The band is in tempo on measure three of the verse (the 5 chord).

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 4:15 pm    

Thanks, Roger. Our keyboard player had a pretty good patch for the sound, but cheated a little on the length of the cascade. Plenty of chorus and reverb might make it a bit bigger sounding on the fiddle.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 4:30 pm    

Yes, they've added echo and it improves it somewhat. But if the fiddler gets a bit 'pitchy' it can feel like a long four bars!!!

Mark S. Miller

Depew, NY, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 4:42 am    

Thanks guys Fred your link is all I need This forum is just the best.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 6:13 am    

Roger Rettig wrote:
In the 'Always...' chart the fiddle has a four-measure descending cadence (meant to replicate the string section on the recording but sounds weird with just one violin!), into a fermata upon which 'Patsy' has the vocal pick-up. The band is in tempo on measure three of the verse (the 5 chord).

Sounds like the end of Ode to Billy Joe.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2018 7:48 am    

We played the show a few times and they gave us music books in show order for each instrument. I asked the band leader who wrote the arrangements and he didn't know. I said that most of us have playing been these songs for decades. He said play it the way you know it. He and the two ladies in the show. Carter Calvert (Patsy) and Sally Struthers (Louise) were happy with it.
Each production of the show was unique with some song changes from previous shows. The money was never all that great but If was fun. Don't think I'll do it again.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2018 1:44 am    

Interesting side story. A few years back I had a call on my answering machine asking if I would like to play a local "Always Patsy" . I returned the call a few hours later and they had already booked another player, which was fine by me. It seems they called every Steel player they could muster up all at the same time and whoever answered the phone got the gig !

Anyway, the fella they hired was a true novice, really nice guy but literally a true novice, maybe a less than 1 year owner/player. The show ran maybe 4 dates and was cancelled for lack of attendance .

I asked my friend how it went, rehearsals and shows and he said he was totally lost, over his head, never even heard some of those songs before and didn't really understand the charts so he just winged it. He said the keyboard player really drove all the music , everyone else was just kinda playing over the top.

The good news is they thought he was a great player and fit the show perfectly. Very Happy

Don't overthink it ! Exclamation

Another friend and really fine player committed to another " Always Patsy " show which was to run for maybe 12 weeks, he was to be be paid $75 for each show , I think at least 4 shows each weekend, but had to commit to the show and rehearsals, which he did. He gave up a few other gigs so he would be available. The show ran for two weeks and was cancelled. He got pretty mad at them ! Sad

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website