The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  microphonic Alamo PUPS
Leo DeBacker

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2013 7:13 pm    

Hey all, I've been checking out a Alamo D8 and the pups seem quite microphonic. Tap on the body of the guitar or pup cover and it reports like a drum, you can get some amplified sound from the opposite board that's being selected with the 3way switch, and finally turn up the treble and you can talk into the pup-comes thru the amp fairly loud.

This seems beyond the norm, do the pups need potting, or re-potting? Do these guitars like at least some of the microphonics going on? Don't want to mess the tone up by getting too handy.
I've read some folks instead of potting with wax will wrap the coil with cloth tape, leaving some of the vintage character/tone?

Thanks for your ideas on this!

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2018 11:23 pm     Alamo D8

The pickups are quite nice on mine. I think you may need some service on yours.

I don’t get to play my Alamo too often. But it has a very unique tone ... kinda of a cross between a Rickenbacker and a Fender.

The only reason I don’t play mine is that this totally origional piece has no legs. It truly is a lap steel. I have legs I could add but haven’t had the courage to disturb the piece. It’s in awesome condition... maybe someday I’ll do it.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 1:33 am     Re: Alamo D8

Robert Jackson wrote:
The only reason I don’t play mine is that this totally origional piece has no legs. It truly is a lap steel. I have legs I could add but haven’t had the courage to disturb the piece. It’s in awesome condition... maybe someday I’ll do it.

Invest in a Deluxe34 and that issue will be a thing of the past.

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 6:33 am    

Most vintage pickups are at least slightly microphonic. I think that's a positive, up to a point - gives them more complex character. But too much is too much.

Here are comments on potting from a noted pickup maker who specializes in vintage repros. Scroll down the page to "Potting a Microphonic Pickup":
http://curtisnovak.com/comments.shtml#why

He doesn't believe loose coil windings are the problem.

The easiest home remedy is to remove the pickup from the guitar flip it over drip some candle wax on the bottom, anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon amount. Then heat it up with a hair dryer and let it melt into the pickup try to get the wax to flow into all the seams and holes evenly. Before you put it back in the guitar test it by plugging it into your amp and put it in front of the speaker, tap it or talk into it. it is best to turn the treble up a little high. If it still does it repeat the above steps. this method will coat the parts without saturating the coil.

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 6:41 am     My Alamo

Here’s a few pics ...

Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2018 6:44 am     And Another Pic

Look no legs ... LOL

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2018 9:01 pm    

If the tone is otherwise good and feedback is not a problem I would NOT do anything to them. Potting will change the tone and wrapping might.

I have instruments with very microphonic pickups and it's not a hard thing to work around, especially with a steel. You're not moving around a stage so keeping it quiet is pretty simple - don't bang on it.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional