The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  " Barn beam" mini humbucker tele.. $150.. shipped...
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2018 8:54 am    

Its NOT a beauty, its crude in its build, with the holes for the string ferrules in back of the guitar moved a few times, my friend overshot the routes for the pickups etc.. It was built from spare parts by a guy I know..

I added the bridge and the alnico minis... neck is from a non descript korean guitar.. the body is cut from a 150 year old pine barn beam. It could use a steady hand to make it prettier around the poorly cut routes, and maybe replace the through body bridge with a top loader if the ugly, out of line ferrules in back are a problem for you.. Never bothered me. this guitar plays VERY well.. Soft very low action, stays in tune, no fretting out, etc,, It was a gigging guitar with me towards the end of my live performing days..
It sounds really good. Very unique. It has some nice tele twang, but just as much Gibson style "bark" and snarl... Its actually a cross between a tele and a good gibson SG..
It just needs strings, maybe a tweak here and there as its been sitting a few years unplayed in corner. It is what it is, an oddball home made guitar hacked out of an old barn beam and a handful of decent modern parts, but its sounds and plays really good.. Bluesy, raw and twangy at the same time..
I Like LOW action, and this one has it.
No case...

You don't have a mini humbucker guitar anyway do you?

$150 gets it shipped to you.. If you're local, its a LOT cheaper... bob

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 6:03 am    

on hold for a long time forumite..

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 8:10 am    

You always have the most interesting gear Bob !

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 9:06 am    

Chris Boyd wrote:
You always have the most interesting gear Bob !

Thanks Chris.. I have an eye for oddballs as you know.... Oh by the way, I just bought an identical yamaha to the one I sold you!..
The day I shipped it I started shaking my head, and asking WHY???. for WHAT reason???. HOW could you sell that guitar. This "new" one is its equivilent in every way, and I was luckt to find it... tan label, early 80's like yours...

Having just traded a pedal steel for a new Martin D28, and playing the D 28 at length before selling it locally, I can say as someone with 50 years guitar playing experience, the 70's -80's $200 Yamaha 335-340 acoustic guitar sounds and plays as well as a $3,000 Martin d28.. NO question in my mind,, Actually, to my ears, I like the Yamaha better. I wanted to like that Martin, but it sounded like a good acoustic guitar, like a good old yamaha does.
So like many here, like yourself, I enjoy finding cheap weird stuff that simpply plays and sounds great..

This tele is no exception.. Its a great player, with a very complex sound that tawngs kind of tele like, yet barks and can scream like a nice old Gibson.. The buyer is getting a very cool guitar, that just wasn't routed real well around the pickups, and has the holes in back out of line.. It plays great, and the sound is really good..
I am always looking out for this stuff, and when i can get it cheap, I sell it cheap.. Just a hobby, NOT a money maker. Retired, don't need the money, just keeping busy . bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 12:04 pm    

I am SO glad you found an FG340 to replace the one you sold me Bob...when you mentioned awhile ago that you wanted it back,I felt like $hit because I fell for that baby completely the day it arrived!You're right..the late 70's early 80's was a fertile period for Yamaha..Interestingly, I had a Martin D41 that I got rid of because my Blueridge BR180 made in China in 2004 played and sounded better..and I had a shootout here with a bunch of guys who like me have been at this since the mid 60's...we all agreed...can the Martin !!
Keep 'em coming Bob..I always look forward to your unique and very fairly priced offerings... health and peace 2018

Art Beard

Once upon a time out west (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2018 3:38 am     Special tele

Bob, check is "in da mail" ! !
Thanks for selling,it to me, as we have same tastes in guitars. Ever see a 3 string shovel, lol?? Whoa!
CAA call me, need to kniw about g4v guitars. Laughing Very Happy Whoa! Laughing
GAS -1969 ZB D11/10,1974 Sho-Bud D10 Professional,1975 Speedy West S10, 150 yr okd Barn Board tele, Beard signature Gold Tone Dean Acoustic/Electric Bass, Tennessee 12 string Bass, 3 String Shovel.2 Fiddles., Sho-Bud amp, Epiphone valve special amp, Fishman loudbox artist amp.