The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie Mechanical Question
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 8:56 am    

On a 1976 MSA D10 Classic...

The left knee levers are approximately opposite the 2nd and 9th frets of the necks. The first pedal is way left of that, far enough that it's a bit of a strain for me to press down just pedal A and keep my knee in position.

This could be just because I'm old, inflexible, and not used to it. Like I say, I'm new at this. Is this the usual position of the knee levers?

Can somebody give me a brief synopsis of what I would have to do to change it? No need to go into detail, I'm still just familiarizing myself with the beast.

Thanks in advance!

--Al Evans

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:40 am    

Your body should be centered at approximately the 15th fret. That should put your legs at a better angle to operate the knee levers and foot pedals without strain.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:44 am    

Because the reverser for the LKR (and RKR) is mounted on the rear apron, their locations are kinda fixed.
If your pedal bar has unused cleats to accommodate more pedals, the easiest thing to do is to move the pedals over a couple of slots.
It's quite common for people to use slot 2/3/4 or even 3/4/5 to move the pedals over to accommodate the idiosyncratic knee lever placement.
You also have the option of changing the angle of the levers, so that they hang like / / instead of | |
Or Michael Yahl sells a bracket that screws to the deck that accommodates the reverser.
http://psgparts.com/Bracket-Free-Stand-Reversing-MSA-200-210-100.htm

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 9:46 am    

Mike, if his guitar is using the standard MSA lever locations AND is using the 1st, 2nd and 3rd pedal slots, that would be a little awkward to get used to.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 2:07 pm    

If it's really uncomfortable, find a good tech and have the levers relocated. It's not a hard job to move a reverser, as all it takes is drilling and tapping a hole in the rear apron - they can be put almost anywhere you want them. Moving all the pedals one or two stations to the right can be done, but it's more time consuming.

Are you using a Day or Emmons' setup? For newbies, I always recommend Day setup as it's slightly more ergonomic.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 6:51 pm    

For that matter, you can use a longer rod to get from the lever to the reversing arm (or from arm to cross-shaft), so you only need to drill and tap the one hole for the lever itself.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 7:43 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
For that matter, you can use a longer rod to get from the lever to the reversing arm (or from arm to cross-shaft), so you only need to drill and tap the one hole for the lever itself.

'Course, that won't work if the reverser is mounted where you wanted to put a lever. Winking