The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mechanical issue - help!
John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 4:21 pm    

On my Mullen SD10, the 10th string(B), when lowered by the 4th pedal, comes back flat. I sprayed Tri-Flow in the changer and it persisted. I turned the guitar over and activated the 4th pedal. The return springs for strings 5,6 and 10 all pull and return, but I can see that 10 still has a little way to go, so I push the pedal in the opposite direction and that nudges into place. I tried adjusting the screw for the return spring just a little and it didn't change. Should I keep turning it? Someone told me a long time ago not to mess with those. Any help's appreciated.

Slim Laurence

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 5:49 pm    

John, have you tried pushing on the lower fingers themselves with a screwdriver to see if they return correctly on their own? I would probably start there.

Slim

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 5:50 pm    

When you say you shot Triflow into the changer, did it get to the two bits that need it? See the picture below.

I suspect there's probably some friction in the pull train; to test this, take a Phillips head screwdriver and push in on an empty hole in the lowering scissor. If the string comes back to the stop bar, the problem is in the pull train and not in the changer.

Slim Laurence

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 5:53 pm    

Also, how old is this guitar? Is this a pedal that used to function correctly and now doesn't, or is it a new addition?

And also listen to Lane, he knows his stuff.

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 6:07 pm    

Ok Lane, I did that test and it comes back to pitch. I'll try to locate the problem in the pull train. Thanks for the tip.

Slim, It's a 9 yr old guitar with low miles and factory rodding job still. It's the G2 model.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 5:26 am    

Possible overturning?

Norman Evans

Tennessee
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 6:31 am    

Lubricating Mullen
http://www.mullenguitars.com/guitar-tips.htm#lubricating your guitar

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 7:15 am    

I am slightly surprised they didn't mention the pivot rivets and the "slope" where the scissor slides on the actual finger.

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 5:06 pm    

I've lubed it as Mullen advised and it's still happening. Will tightening the helper spring possibly help?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 5:16 pm    

Quote:
Will tightening the helper spring possibly help?

Very possibly. It may not address the actual issue but it definitely could at least get the finger to return to the stop. Maybe at the expense of some pedal stiffness. I've got this problem on a couple of strings and the spring adjustment totally fixes it but it bugs me that there's definitely a friction point that I can't locate.

edited to specify---the return spring is the one that needs tightening.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 5:34 pm    

The Phillips screwdriver test eliminated the changer.
If Mullen uses an adjustable pedal return stop, try backing it off a couple of turns (you'll have to retune the changes on the pedal).
If Mullen uses an adjustable stop at the full throw, you could back THAT off a couple of turns, so that the pedal has a bit more throw.
We've narrowed it down to the pull train; there's something binding, rubbing or grabbing just barely before full return.
The first thing I'd check is that, assuming you have it on P4 or P5, the Franklin pedal bellcrank isn't rubbing on the A pedal tenth string pullrod (or the tenth string rod of your A# lever). Look for striations or scratches on the rods.
I'm also willing to bet that the problem doesn't happen when the guitar is legs-up on the bench.
If you don't find a scratched or polished rod, get an assistant to work the pedals while the guitar is on its legs and you're reclining with your head on a chair or piano bench: watch ALL the rods on the 9th and 10th strings as you activate and release that pedal.
I'll bet you $2 you'll find that one rod twitches a bit just as it binds; reposition either the Franklin pedal bellcrank or the bellcrank on the twitchy rod so that they don't interfere with each other.

John Neff

Athens, GA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 5:47 pm    

Thanks, Jon and Lane. While you were typing I tightened the return spring and sprayed a little more Triflow in from the underside. It's now returning to pitch with a little more pedal stiffness.

Lane - I'll check the things you mentioned. Even though the flathead returned to pitch, when I turned it over the 10th spring wouldn't return all the way without help. Thanks again!