The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Am Nuts
Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 2:56 pm    

Yes steel nuts. It started when I was in high school in 1966. I was drawing pictures of pedal steel guitars on my note books and most anything else. Wooden guitars were so beautiful. Mica came along and for awhile were the popular ones. My first guitar was a black MSA. I still really liked the Domland wooden guitars that were so beautiful. Now days you can have all colors of wood with inlays. I wish I could afford one of each. I see the great work Mullen puts into their guitars and yes MSA also and many of the smaller builders. At the time I did not know about the Bigsby guitars. They are marvels of the wooden guitars along with some of the old ShoBud natural guitars.
I have lived through an era of pedal steel guitar that was the greatest ever. I do not play much anymore and that is OK. I now am no longer am torchered by the fact that I can't pick as fast as Doug Journigan or play as smooth as Herbie Wallace. I do not understand all the theory that Emmons used to make some of the best music of my time either. But I now am able to listen to all the greats that I have tried to emulate and that makes me happy.
I want to thank b0b for this site, as it makes my day to go here each day and see what is on the minds of others like me.
Happy New Year

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 3:14 pm    

Many thanks to Bob and this site. I enjoy it most everyday.It keeps steel alive and well.

Landon Evans

The Republic of Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 3:41 pm    

What a beautiful post. It's not often we step back and take time to appreciate things like this in life - whether it be pedal steel guitar, baseball, smoking a good brisket, flyfishing, or whatever. Too often we get caught up in the pursuit of mastery, comparing ourselves to others, looking at what we can't do. Sometimes it's just nice to appreciate an art and the great artists.