The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  If You Had to Choose Gibson or Fender
Robert Jackson

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 7:21 am    

Gibson Console Grande (short scale) or Fender Stringmaster (Long Scale) both Vintage 50s era

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:03 am    

I think it depends on the sound you're looking for.
The Gibson would sound more mellow than the Fender.
Leo was after treble.
Erv

James Hartman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:26 am    

The Gibson for me. Stringmasters sound good in some players' hands, but when I play one I never entirely like the way it sounds/feels, no matter what amp - too "thin".

If the choices included an older Fender Deluxe with trapezoid pickup, I might choose that.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:39 am    

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 9:57 am    

See what happened Jim? The puzzles moved the jokes up to the 'steel without pedals' section. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... Laughing

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 10:10 am    

Brooks Montgomery wrote:
See what happened Jim? The puzzles moved the jokes up to the 'steel without pedals' section. Not that there's anything wrong with that.... Laughing

I know, man. It's a terrible, slippery slope. You let one guy in with a sense of humor and before you know it, the place has gone to the dogs... Wink

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 10:55 am    

woof.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 11:24 am    

If someone was going to give me that choice, I would accept the Stringmaster, sell it, and buy two Console Grandes.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 11:30 am    

Cool short video below (click on it, Robert Jackson - it's only a minute and 16 seconds!) of Basil Henriques demonstrating the tone controls on a Stringmaster.

Obviously the amp plays a major part, but he gets some phat tone - it's not all trebly and twangy.

Were I in the market, I'd go Stringmaster.

But the short scale (Gibson) vs. long scale (Fender) question in Robert's original post adds another wrinkle to the matter. I'd still go with the Fender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxnyVAlTu2w

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 11:46 am    

Since I have a Gibson Console Grande (short scale), I want the Stringmaster. Forbidden fruit.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 11:53 am    

I'll be the odd man out.. D8 Carvin... when I get the money to buy one!

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 1:15 pm    

I love my SM and have never played a CG, so I couldn't say that I'd make the trade. But if I somehow came into a console grande's worth of money that I was forced to spend on myself, I am pretty sure that's exactly what I'd spend it on.

I think they are quite possibly the classiest looking consoles and some of my very favorite steel playing was done on CGs. Someday...

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 2:18 pm    

Jerry Byrd didn't do too bad on a Rickenbacker.
This is, supposedly, one of his most favorite instruments:

Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 2:26 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:

BA DA BOOM! Whoa!

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 2:28 pm    

I have a Stringmaster (my first console) and sometimes I regret getting one with medium scale (24.5) as I found out the lap steel I've been playing has a somewhat ridiculous 20.5" scale length, so its hard for me to jump on the Stringmaster without a lot of adjustment in my playing. I do love the tone, if not my playing. Both pickups on in series, amp dialed back with a lot of warmth and tamed treble, a bit of tube, it sounds great for what I want it for. Most of the music I want to emulate was done on Fenders or Magnatones, so it probably was a good choice for me in the long run. Gibson CGs are beautiful and as a rule with fretted guitars, I'm a Gibson-with-P90 type guy. Rickenbackers also have a bit of a hold on me. There's a D8 on Reverb that was listed just after I bought my triple SM...while on the merits I've convinced myself I still chose the right one, there was some lingering regret, that Rick looked like a fantastic instrument...

Maybe I need to adapt a wistful Hawaiian ballad of lost love for a missed steel guitar purchase...

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 3:30 pm    

I have no experience of either but I would not part with my National D8's. Tone is a very personal thing although it is true to say some guitars will give you what you are looking for a lot easier than others. George B could not get a sweet tone from a National, and if the copy Fender I have is anything to go by I would not get a Fender. I had to hunt around and try different settings for the National and think I have found it. In National number 2 I did a modification which increased the sustain so now getting used to that. Increase in sustain helps you get those fast runs easier.

I will stick with what I have got. I have a Rickenbacker 510 but don't really like it.

Brad Davis

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 4:04 pm    

Why choose? Get both!!!!!

I found a 54 Console Grande first, and now have a long scale Fender quad. I love them both. I do really enjoy the longer scale, but love the sound and string spacing of the Gibson.

The GCG's are a little bit easier to come by in decent condition. Hold out for something with a case, legs, body in good condition and fretboards that aren't cracked.

Stringmasters are fewer, and more expensive, but still regularly available.

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 7:07 pm    

I would take the Gibson. Never have been comfortable with a Stringmaster. Just not the sound that I prefer
gary

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2018 10:04 pm    

Play both guitars before you decide... in my experience the Fender is the more robust guitar... the legs etc are just stronger and more stable, and it will take a beating and keep on playing. Also, the desirable Gibson is the rare one with the oval pickups... the rectangular ones don't sound as good to me.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2018 10:47 am    

I think a Stringmaster is/was the industry standard for a reliable, portable and versatile console. I love mine. It even has quite a bit of "stage presence". It's a great workhorse. I do think a Gibson console with a nicely figured maple top is a true thing of beauty and would love to have one of those too. I probably wouldn't gig with it as much though.