The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Dekley D-10 8+4: $1500+ *SOLD*
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 4:37 pm    

\

Dekley D-10, 8 pedals, four knees (RKL operates on both necks). Sperzel tuners. I picked this up in August as a reclamation project. It played well and sounded great, but needed a good clean up, re-lube, and tweaking to the set up. Every part underneath was removed and cleaned. Several of the 8-32 3/16 set screws that hold the bell-cranks on the cross-shafts were stripped; these have all been replaced with ¼” set screws, which are a bit easier to work with. Changer and all moving parts were lubed with Tri-flow.

This is a late pre-slimline model: it has a triple-raise/double lower changer on C6 (per slimline), but double-raise/double lower on E9 (per the older Dekleys). Probably from late 1979. The original Dekley pickups sound fantastic. E9 pickup (17.69 ohm) came that way; the C6 had a loose wire and was recently rewound by Tom Brantley (to 18.42 ohm). Action is super smooth with firm stops and precise feel. Great vintage tone with excellent string separation. Cosmetically it’s in very good shape for its age. Some little nicks and scrapes in the aluminum, but nothing major to speak of, glaring, or immediately noticeable. Like all Dekleys, it weighs a lot: this guitar is not for the faint-of-back. Also, relatively large framed (a couple of inches longer than my Super Pro or Fessenden D-10). But all of that mass gives it great sustain and a deep rich tone.

Worth noting that the E9 pickup is probably slightly microphonic; some pedal noise is audible through the amp, but not so much to be a distraction. I did add some foam in the pickup cavity to reduce direct vibrations. I suppose it could be an issue for recording, but if I were keeping this steel I would not mess with it. Pretty sure it is part of the pickup's great tone.

I have it set up to a fairly standard copedant on both necks:

The only downside on this steel is the case. It is not the conventional Thomas case that Dekley used, but clearly the original case (given the exact fit of the bracing inside). The lining is in good shape; some pulling away from the wood in the leg and pedal bar compartment, but not loose and floppy. Outside, the latches, hinges, and handle hardware are quite rusted. One latch (far left when facing the case) doesn’t work at all. If I were keeping this axe I’d probably invest in a new case, but I’ll leave that to the next owner (and I have priced it with this in mind). If I kept it in this case, I’d probably but a strap around it while it transit for peace of mind.

Includes (home-made?) blue denim leg and rod pouch.

I would REALLY like to avoid shipping this big boy. I am willing to drive up to 100 miles to meet someone half-way to deliver it. I will ship if someone really wants me too, but it’s going to be pretty expensive (I’m guessing a little over $100).

$1500 plus shipping (if I must)

Last edited by Dan Beller-McKenna on 8 Jan 2018 2:41 pm; edited 3 times in total

Cody Appel

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 5:44 pm    

PM sent.

Mike May

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 7:23 am     Re: Dekley D-10 8+4: $1500+

Dan Beller-McKenna wrote:
\

Dekley D-10, 8 pedals, four knees (RKL operates on both necks). Sperzel tuners. I picked this up in August as a reclamation project. It played well and sounded great, but needed a good clean up, re-lube, and tweaking to the set up. Every part underneath was removed and cleaned. Several of the 8-32 3/16 set screws that hold the bell-cranks on the cross-shafts were stripped; these have all been replaced with ¼” set screws, which are a bit easier to work with. Changer and all moving parts were lubed with Tri-flow.
PM Sent
This is a late pre-slimline model: it has a triple-raise/double lower changer on C6 (per slimline), but double-raise/double lower on E9 (per the older Dekleys). Probably from late 1979. The original Dekley pickups sound fantastic. E9 pickup (17.69 ohm) came that way; the C6 had a loose wire and was recently rewound by Tom Brantley (to 18.42 ohm). Action is super smooth with firm stops and precise feel. Great vintage tone with excellent string separation. Cosmetically it’s in very good shape for its age. Some little nicks and scrapes in the aluminum, but nothing major to speak of, glaring, or immediately noticeable. Like all Dekleys, it weighs a lot: this guitar is not for the faint-of-back. Also, relatively large framed (a couple of inches longer than my Super Pro or Fessenden D-10). But all of that mass gives it great sustain and a deep rich tone.

I have it set up to a fairly standard copedant on both necks:

The only downside on this steel is the case. It is not the conventional Thomas case that Dekley used, but clearly the original case (given the exact fit of the bracing inside). The lining is in good shape; some pulling away from the wood in the leg and pedal bar compartment, but not loose and floppy. Outside, the latches, hinges, and handle hardware are quite rusted. One latch (far left when facing the case) doesn’t work at all. If I were keeping this axe I’d probably invest in a new case, but I’ll leave that to the next owner (and I have priced it with this in mind). If I kept it in this case, I’d probably but a strap around it while it transit for peace of mind.

Includes (home-made?) blue denim leg and rod pouch.

I would REALLY like to avoid shipping this big boy. I am willing to drive up to 100 miles to meet someone half-way to deliver it. I will ship if someone really wants me too, but it’s going to be pretty expensive (I’m guessing a little over $100).

$1500 plus shipping (if I must)

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 2:08 pm    

In cutting and pasting my initial post, I left out an important paragraph. I've added it tot he initial post, but it is worth drawing attention to it so no one is caught unawares:

Worth noting that the E9 pickup is probably slightly microphonic; some pedal noise is audible through the amp, but not so much to be a distraction. I did add some foam in the pickup cavity to reduce direct vibrations. I suppose it could be an issue for recording, but if I were keeping this steel I would not mess with it. Pretty sure it is part of the pickup's great tone.

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 5 Jan 2018 4:40 am    

Sale pending

Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 8 Jan 2018 2:41 pm    

Sold. Donation on its way. Please close.