The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Your choice of “picks” for Tele playing
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 6:35 am    

I heard someone mention years ago The a guit pick is the cheapest EQ you can buy. For the longest time I have been using Dunlop 3mm jazz picks and do OK with the hybrid picking.

Just thought I would ask what you Tele players use?

Jim Robbins

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 10:07 am    

I've been using Dunlop 500 1.5mms for ages with whatever guitar I'm playing, including Tele, & whatever style of music as long as it involves flatpicking.

Happy New Year!

Joseph Carlson

Grass Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 12:53 pm    

Picks are pretty cheap (except for Blue Chips) so I've tried pretty much every brand and style available and settled on the Dunlop Jazz III for Tele.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-nylon-jazz-iii-guitar-pick

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2017 2:55 pm    

Gonna head for the music store this week and get some Dunlop Jazz III picks in red, not black because I drop drop picks and have a heck of a time finding them.👍

G Strout

Carabelle, Florida
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 12:14 am    

Andy Reiss turned me on to V picks..... never looked back. Comfortable. Exactly what I need for articulation and speed. Expensive but well worth the price.
gary

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2018 3:22 am    

For anything but jazz, 358 small teardrop-sized picks like Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan used, in Heavy or Extra Heavy. Anything bigger than that feels clunky to me. The common and cheap Fender 358 celluloid work fine for most styles, but for really fast, aggressive picking, like tremelo-picking fast surf tunes or something like that, a new one will start to shred before I can get done with one set. For that, I'm using either the white Clayton Acetal Polymer or Black Raven picks in the smallest teardrop 358 size, 1mm or thicker. I usually am using at least 11-48 gauge strings for country/blues/rock and 12-52 for instrumental/surf stuff.

For jazzy stuff, the small teardrop Dunlop 205 Jazz Tone picks. Closest thing I can find to soften the blow and get closer to the sound of playing with the thumb. The white Clayton Acetal Polymer around 1.5mm work pretty well for this too. But to me, there's nothing like the 205s.

Most flat picks (with a few exceptions) are pretty cheap, so I have piles of picks that I've tried and wound up moving on to something else.